Trying to decide on an upgrade path

Copperbad

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
I think I need to replace my GPU, and would like to consider some other upgrades at the same time. I don't really have a tight budget, but want to spend efficiently and future-proof as much as possible. I don't really know what i'm doing and would love some feedback and help in the matter!

Budget Range: $500-$1200, but can vary

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming,

Are you buying a monitor: I don't think so

Parts to Upgrade: GPU and perhaps CPU/MOBO

Do you need to buy OS: No

Parts Preferences: Don’t know enough to have preferences really.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080p. Can do 4k but not worth it with my hardware.

Additional Comments: prefer quiet without lots of lights or bling. Mostly just want solid performance though.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: GPU seems to have stopped working.

Current build
MOBO: Asus Z97-A
CPU: Intel i5 4690K
GPU: EVGA GTX970 4G
RAM: 8gig Crucial Balistix x 2
PSU: Corsair CT500W
CASE: Corsair Carbide Spec-02 Mid Tower
DISPLAY: Samsung U28E590D 28-inch 4k UHD LED Monitor
Uses: Mostly gaming, I enjoy Total War which is fairly system-intensive. Would like to be able to continue running newer games at higher settings.

-Main question is, I suppose, what in my current build would keep me from using a GTX 1080 ti? I think that's the GPU route I want to take. (or would a 1070 be a better deal?) Ideally, I'd like to get a new gpu that I can put right in, and then get a new mobo/cpu a little further down the road. If there's a much more cost-efficient solution that involves upgrading everything at once though, I'm down.

-I don't think my mobo supports the newer cpus, so maybe that's the best first stop? All of this years builds seem to lean towards AMD rather than Intel, are they just a better deal?

-I'd really like to optimize my display and GPU better, or at least learn a bit more about the subject.

Totally open to other suggestions and recommendations not specific to my questions!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I think I'd stay with the Haswell build and just upgrade the gfx card and possibly the PSU. As-is, the PSU can handle a GTX 1070. But the GTX 1080 Ti would over tax both the PSU (overload) and the CPU (Bottleneck).

Copperbad

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
I gotcha,

How about an EVGA Supernova 750 G3, 80 Plus Gold 750W
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BE058W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition, 8GB GDDR5
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076S4RH6K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't have a 144htz monitor yet, so the 1070ti will last me for a while I'm thinking.

Then maybe the next step is to upgrade the mobo/cpu/ram down the road.

maybe this? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bcrmWD

-Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
-Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
-Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

That looks like it would futureproof me in the CPU and GPU department for another several years. Thoughts? Is that mobo overkill?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Well.... if cost is no object, then that would be good choices for sure. But there is no such thing as future-proof. Just systems that will be viable for awhile.
Your Haswell i5 is definitely going to bottleneck driving the GTX 1070, 1070 Ti at 144Hz. So for that kind of AAA multi-player gaming at High refresh rate, the i7-8700K would be advised.

Or a Ryzen 7 2700X platform if you want the same class of performance at a lower total platform cost.

Copperbad

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
I picked up anASUS ROG Swift PG278QR 27” 2560x1440 1ms 165Hz G-SYNC
https://www.amazon.com/PG278QR-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Monitor-DisplayPort/dp/B01N4ENDXR

Which definitely looks like it will work well with the 1070ti, but I do see your point about the CPU bottleneck at this point.

Gonna need to do CPU/MOBO/RAM all at once no matter what, unless i want to get an i7 4690k which seems like a real waste of money.

What about:
- AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor
- Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
- Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

that runs around $800 with a cooler as opposed to $1100 going the i7-9700k route

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

A really fine selection. The Intel platform with the more expensive 8C/8T i7-9700K would no doubt produce better numbers than the 8C/16T 2700X, but in real life you probably wouldn't notice it. I'm sure that $300 difference would come in handy in other ways.