Question Trying to figure out fan wiring for MSI AIO. Can someone please help?

Sep 9, 2024
I have the MSI mph Coreliquid D360 AIO and the ASUS ROG Strix X670 E-e gaming WIFI mobo. 1) The first challenge I face is regarding the plugs coming out of the pump. I have installed the fans on top and the pump is installed and now I must figure out how to connect the wiring. The one plug coming from the pump has a tag on it labeled "cpu fan" and it is a 3-pin plug with 2 wires, one in the left hole and one in the right hole with no wire in the middle. The mobo has 3, 4-pin headers at the top labeled AIO pump, CPU OPT, and CPU fan. I cannot find a 3- pin header anywhere on the mobo that this plug could fit. Their schematic makes it look like a four-pin plug. Any ideas here? The SATA plug goes to the PSU, no problem, 2) and the other plug goes to a header they have labeled "JUSB." There are 3, USB 2.0 headers at the bottom of the mobo labeled USB_2425; USB_14_15; and USB_1617. Does it matter which one I use for the pump, or another header altogether different? 3) The third question I have is which ARGB header should I use for the fan lighting? There are 3 addressable gen 2 headers on the mobo. Would one of these be what I need to use here for the AIO ARGB? If not , then what would you suggest? I thank you guys. I just stumbled onto this forum tonight and I am grateful I did. This is my first time to build a computer and I will be 71 in October. I just spent the last 6 & 1/2 years building and flying racing drones. I needed a break from that , so I decided to build a computer. I look forward to your help and if there is anything I can do to help, I will.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Why type all of it as wall of text? :non:
Ever heard of spacing?

The mobo has 3, 4-pin headers at the top labeled AIO pump, CPU OPT, and CPU fan. I cannot find a 3- pin header anywhere on the mobo that this plug could fit.
3-pin CPU FAN header fits just fine into 4-pin CPU FAN header.

Trick is this (bottom right image);

OI8N5cH.jpg

2) and the other plug goes to a header they have labeled "JUSB." There are 3, USB 2.0 headers at the bottom of the mobo labeled USB_2425; USB_14_15; and USB_1617. Does it matter which one I use for the pump, or another header altogether different?
It does not matter into which internal USB 2.0 header you plug the JUSB cable.

3) The third question I have is which ARGB header should I use for the fan lighting? There are 3 addressable gen 2 headers on the mobo. Would one of these be what I need to use here for the AIO ARGB?
Yes, and again, doesn't matter which of the three ARGB headers on MoBo you use, to power and control the unicorn puke on your AIO.

Reactions: Paperdoc

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
^ Everything above is right, so do that.

Some why"s? to help.

This AIO system takes over all control of CPU cooling itself, not relying on the mobo's abilities in this regard. The MSI Centre software you install does this, and uses the USB2 cable connection to communicate with the AIO system through the pump module. Notice that the three rad fans connect to that pump for their control signals.

All mobo fan headers include an important second function. They monitor the speed signal being sent back from the "fan" connected for possible NO signal, indicating failure. In the particular case of the CPU_FAN header, if failure happens MOST mobos will pop a prominent warning on your screen and, in a short time, shut the system down completely without even waiting for the temp sensor inside the CPU chip to show temps too high. This is to prevent very rapid overheating when there is NO CPU cooling which can cause permanent damage to the CPU. In an AIO system, the critical component to be monitored for such failure is the PUMP, so that is why its small cable (the one with only 2 wires and 3 holes) must go the CPU_FAN header. The two wires you note are the Ground lead and the pump speed signal.

Control of the speeds of the actual rad fans, and monitoring their speed signals for possible failure, is handled in this system by the MSI Centre software. That system has access to the temperature sensor signal from inside the CPU chip through the mobo.