[SOLVED] Trying to find best MOBO for i7-7700k

Twinkielol

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2016
So, I have been looking up lists of best Mobos to use for the i7-7700k and the two that keep coming up are the maximus ix apex and the Gigabyte gaming 9... I was going to go with the MSI z270 a pro but they are sold out everywhere and same with the gigabyte 9. I can't afford the Maximus ix apex so I was wondering how do the other versions of these mobos do in comparison? Like is the msi 270 carbon as good as the a pro? and how is the gigabyte aorus gaming k5 compared to the gaming 9 version? I am just wondering if either of these would be good alternatives to their sold out better counterparts. Thanks in advance!

Solution
What do you want from the motherboard?

The 7700k isn't that much of a powerhog, and doesn't release that much heat, so even overclocked, the VRMs aren't all that super important.
The main difference in such boards will be in looks, and features.

Say, more usb, 10gig ethernet instead of 1 gig, maybe even thunderbolt 3 (not sure, since that's an older platform), more pci-e slots, m.2 slots (since at that point they weren't that abundant in boards), some might even have u.2 which is dead in home computers now, but still cool.

Aside from little things like this which you can basically add to any mobo, the difference isn't major between motherboards of the same chipset.

Also, don't waste your time with that platform, unless you have a...
What do you want from the motherboard?

The 7700k isn't that much of a powerhog, and doesn't release that much heat, so even overclocked, the VRMs aren't all that super important.
The main difference in such boards will be in looks, and features.

Say, more usb, 10gig ethernet instead of 1 gig, maybe even thunderbolt 3 (not sure, since that's an older platform), more pci-e slots, m.2 slots (since at that point they weren't that abundant in boards), some might even have u.2 which is dead in home computers now, but still cool.

Aside from little things like this which you can basically add to any mobo, the difference isn't major between motherboards of the same chipset.

Also, don't waste your time with that platform, unless you have a specific need for it, since a modern i3/ryzen 3 are on par or faster than that i7 7700k, and suck up half as much power, and output much less heat.
also also, a low-mid range board+i3 (since i3 wouldn't need a high end board.) might cost less than a board for that i7 7700k alone.

Reactions: sizzling
Solution