Question Trying to find viable multi-gig router/switch

Jul 8, 2023
So I don't have a ton of networking knowledge. Just the basics.
So basically I am wanting a multi-gig home setup. What is the best way of doing so?

I know from modem-router(wifi ap) is what I have now. Looked at other threads and was thinking Modem-Switch-Router. But read switch cant go before my AP unless it's managed switch?

In short trying to setup for future multi-gig internet and want to also have any hardwired connections to router also be multi-gig capable. As I currently have the Linksys Hydra Pro that has 2.5G WAN/LAN but only 1G after that. As well as my PC has a built in 2.5G and I believe my other MB also has 2.5G. So what options do i have? Sorry a little all over the place.

Unless you have multiple IPs from your ISP you have to go Modem-router-switch. If your service is under 1Gig you might as well only look for a multi Gig switch, your internal traffic, if equipped with the correct NICs will take advantage of the extra bandwidth. Your APs would normally be connected to your switch. What equipment do you have?

As indicated you have to go modem-router-switch. That means your router needs both a 2.5g wan and 2.5g lan port.

First do you pay your ISP for service greater than 1gbit if not the router will only run 1gbit anyway.

Next you need to really think about what do you really "need" such fast internet for. Most people do not need even 100mbits/sec. Things like 4k netflix or youtube use under 30mbps, so you could be watching multiple at the same time and not even use 100mbps. Normal web surfing takes far less. Games use maybe 1mbps and many much less. Having more bandwidth than they want to use does not make these run any better.

Pretty much the only thing that needs large bandwidth is large file downloads. It depends on how much you do that and if a download taking say 3 minutes rather than 5 minutes is really worth all the added costs.

Only you can say if the extra money you pay your ISP and all the extra costs to get routers/switches etc to get 2.5g is really going to be worth it.