Question Trying to fix a driver problem, Windows driver verifier gives me a BSOD when I boot the computer. How do I indentify the faulty driver?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mercron

Commendable
Jun 8, 2020
The BSOD gives me

Besides that, it also sometimes says its Wdf01000.sys, but its a windows component and I already ran sfc /scannow a couple times. I have had this problem for years on this computer (horrible lag, display drivers crashing). I clean installed windows like 10 times at this point. Im a bit lost but I want to identify the driver causing the problems. How should I go about that? Driver verifier doesnt seem to help because windows cant boot at all and all it does is give me a BSOD. The dump file says nothing at all, I tried opening it with BlueScreenView and the field Caused By Driver is completely blank.

My specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz
16 GB DDR4 RAM
1650 NVIDIA GFORCE

Thanks beforehand.

Mercron

Commendable
Jun 8, 2020
So every time the game Path of Exile crashes (happens after the game is open for 2ish hours) the windows event viewer gives me an application error, coming from KERNELBASE.dll

Besides that, every time my screen goes black when I try playing that song, nothing is recorded on the event viewer.

Aug 3, 2022
I wouldn't waste your mates time
Page 2 and he says its while playing a game, after making a ridiculous claim its when he plays a particular sound track

He simply doesn't look at the error logs hes pointed to, and given step by step instructions on and insists hes done everything right then says its when the monitor goes off - despite him claiming the power management is fine and set to not switch the monitor off

Dont waste your mates time.

Mercron

Commendable
Jun 8, 2020
I wouldn't waste your mates time
Page 2 and he says its while playing a game, after making a ridiculous claim its when he plays a particular sound track

He simply doesn't look at the error logs hes pointed to, and given step by step instructions on and insists hes done everything right then says its when the monitor goes off - despite him claiming the power management is fine and set to not switch the monitor off

Dont waste your mates time.

What can I even tell you except what is happening? Every time I play a song on that game my monitor shuts off - no logs to be seen on the event viewer. I ran the driver verifier and it gives me a BSOD. The monitor goes off for like 2 seconds every time I play that song. Its not the power options obviously. I dont understand this rudeness when all im trying to do is fix my computer, and I feel like I tried everything. I read all the instructions but I dont see any hints as to whats happening. I could literally look through all the error logs on windows and there is absolutely nothing showing.

Like, I LITERALLY posted a video of me playing said song and I show how the monitor goes to black for 2 seconds, what more proof do you want?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022
It was post 21 before you mentioned the consistent repeatable event in A GAME
should have been post 1
Ferk knows what you are actually doing/running in that video

That would target video drivers or sound, but as you've apparently changed those - THE GAME its happening in ....

You say that event viewer just points to kernel (which I said it likely would) - your interpretation without showing the entry or the msinfo32 windows error reporting entries

Lets pull a few more teeth and try to squeeze some blood out of a stone
Does the issue happen outside that Game

AND
Does it happen
- in a clean install of windows without THE GAME installed?
or even playing an innocuous GAME like zdoom which will use a GPU

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022
Perhaps just do a clean install of windows and see if
  1. running driver verifier bsods
  2. then install the GAME and run driver verifier again .. without even running the game
3 If it doesn't bsod after installing game - run game and see if it bsods

Mercron

Commendable
Jun 8, 2020
AND
Does it happen
- in a clean install of windows without THE GAME installed?

Yes, as a matter of fact, the game I installed a couple months back, but this issue of the black screen has been happening for like 4 or so years at this point. It also happens when I open tinder on any browser and I run out of likes and the popup message shows. Screen goes totally black. It also happens when I watch a certain scene of a show, no matter in what video player Im playing that scene, which is a bit absurd but again, it does happen.

And yes, it happened BEFORE I installed that game and also after doing a clean install of windows. As a matter of fact, I even installed Ubuntu and it was still happening on that OS.

Mercron

Commendable
Jun 8, 2020
Perhaps just do a clean install of windows and see if
  1. running driver verifier bsods
  2. then install the GAME and run driver verifier again .. without even running the game
3 If it doesn't bsod after installing game - run game and see if it bsods

I already tried that, last year my computer would randomly BSOD(it said DPC violation) and I had to take it to the computer repair shop, they reinstalled windows and it was still happening to they replaced the PSU and that seemed to fix that issue. I then made the decision to plug a different monitor to the one im using just to see if it was the monitor <Mod Edit> up something.

I didnt install the game yet, but thats when the black screens started happening doing other different activities like I mentioned earlier.
Then I installed the game and I found on that particular song that the screen went totally black. I have to mention however, that the black screen on the song ONLY happens when the game is on fullscreen mode. If I play that song on windowed mode, its very incredibly laggy but it never crashes.

On other situations (like on tinder as I mentioned) it always happens. I tried checking the task manager when its happening but every single metric seems to be doing fine, no spikes anywhere.

Some other symptoms are:

Horrible screen tearing issues on any amount of frames/second, but they only happen on certain parts of the screen (not like actual screen tearing)
Horrible rubberbanding on every single game
Realy bad input lag

The bottom line here is that something is happening and we know that because the driver verifier BSODs every time I run it, and I have clean installed windows multiple times in different hard drives to no avail. I understand if you feel like Im being obtuse and not receptive of any help but I can only tell you what I see and what has happened. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 3, 2022
try setting display to lower resolution

copy the msinfo32 stuff requested up here
What sound card(s) have you used

dpc reference is likely the dpc monitor that intervenes and shuts down driver i/o requests that take to long - which can introduce massive stalls

Mercron

Commendable
Jun 8, 2020
try setting display to lower resolution

copy the msinfo32 stuff requested up here
What sound card(s) have you used

dpc reference is likely the dpc monitor that intervenes and shuts down driver i/o requests that take to long - which can introduce massive stalls

I went through the windows error reporting tab and I found that whenever my monitor goes to black on the song, there is no error report. However, after playing for 2-3 hours, games start to crash... and they crash windows with them. Here is a screenshot of what windows is reporting after a crash:
unknown.png

Apologies as its in spanish. It says...

Name of the app with errors: PathOfExile.exe version 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x621472b4&#000d;&#x000a;Name of the module with errors: KERNELBASE.dll version 10.0.19041.1826; time stamp: 0x29934e8&#x000a; Exception code: 0xe0000001&

unknown.png

Those are the errors reported when the crash happened.
The error below gives me this:

nvoglv32.dll, versión: 30.0.15.1215, time stamp: 0x62331c9f&#x000d;&#x000a;Exception code: 0xc0000409&#x000d;&#x000a;&#x000a;ID of the process with errors: 0x3be4&#x000d;&#x000a;&#x000a;File location: C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Roaming\Path of Building Community\Path of Building.exe&#x000d;&#x000a;Acess route of the module with errors: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispig.inf_amd64_c0e159863e7afdde\nvoglv32.dll&#x000d;&#x000a;

Thats the best I could really find.

It looks like the nvidia drivers are crashing, which is what happened to me yesterday. Also the game crashed which is what it shows. It doesnt show at all when the screen goes black on the song.

I have used the jacks that come with my computer box I think. Nothing fancy like a sound card? Unless it comes with the MOBO. I dont really know how to check for that.

I tried lowering the resolution and it does indeed give me better latency results but I still crash.

Aug 3, 2022
Bombed drawing window/popup/sprite seems likely
- Directx version compatibility with card drivers seems very likely (as you say it happens outside of game)

Originally thought gpu, but you said you'd had a completely different one which threw off the scent - but directx/opengl compatibility with gpu/ gpu drivers seems prime contender

Try later or older version directx

Aug 3, 2022
What version were you on and was that an 'original' version with win10 or did you install a version?
Tried to go back from which version, to which version?
How?
What test did you try and what changed ?
Whats the minimum version required by your game?