Trying to format hard drive

Tommy Shiels

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
Hi all,

I recently found an old 160GB hard drive lying around and I wanted to use it. Tried deleting all data from it and format to use with my new build.

However, There are files on it which I can not delete ('I do not have permission') so I assume that's why the formatting won't work.

I would like to completely wipe the hard drive and use it from scratch. (none of the data on it is important)

Solution
I believe the Diskpart command will work for you.

1. Access Disk Management and confirm the Disk # for the 160 GB HDD.

2. At a command prompt, enter "diskpart" (no quotes) and enter the following commands...

list disk <Enter>

select disk 0 <Enter> (or disk 1 or disk 2, whichever is the desired disk. Ensure that you've selected the correct disk)

clean <Enter>
This command will erase all partitions on the disk. It may take some time to complete the cleaning process. If the cleaning operation is successful a message will appear that "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk."

All the disk space on the drive now will be "Unallocated".

Exit Diskpart and access Disk Management to initialize, partition, and format the disk.
I believe the Diskpart command will work for you.

1. Access Disk Management and confirm the Disk # for the 160 GB HDD.

2. At a command prompt, enter "diskpart" (no quotes) and enter the following commands...

list disk <Enter>

select disk 0 <Enter> (or disk 1 or disk 2, whichever is the desired disk. Ensure that you've selected the correct disk)

clean <Enter>
This command will erase all partitions on the disk. It may take some time to complete the cleaning process. If the cleaning operation is successful a message will appear that "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk."

All the disk space on the drive now will be "Unallocated".

Exit Diskpart and access Disk Management to initialize, partition, and format the disk.

Solution

Tommy Shiels

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
Cheers ArtPog!