Trying to identify the culprit in PC that crashes when launching games. Help!

Feb 22, 2018
I have been trying to find a solution online for most of this afternoon to no avail; hopefully somebody can help!
My PC is a little over 2 years old and is mostly used for University work and gaming. I was recently playing Dark Souls 3 as I often do with the standard settings that I always use. Around 15 minutes into the session my PC restarted and I received a message informing me that anti-surge protection had been used and this was the reason for the hiccup. I live in first-year residence and electrical issues, especially in my flat, are no rarity so I shrugged it away as just another trip with the mains.
Upon restarting my PC I decided to switch to League of Legends as my friend told me he was up for it. I encountered no issues booting, logging in or loading the game or any other browser tabs that I may have opened in the meantime. However, as soon as the game began and the game became full screen, the audio distorted briefly, the screen turned black and the PC became unresponsive. I powered off with the main standby button. Subsequent attempts to launch into the game give the same result. After some troubleshooting to try and determine if this was a problem specific to that particular game, I found that I was also unable to launch into any other games past loading screens such as Dark Souls 3 and The Witcher 3. Portal 2, however, ran with no issues (which is part of the reason I suggest it is the stress of more complex graphical processing that is causing issues).
I have updated GPU drivers, Windows Update, Direct X and any other software that I can find referenced online through my attempted troubleshooting, which led me to believe this was a hardware issue.
I monitored my temperatures through a crash log while attempting once again to launch into a game and found no obvious abnormalities.
I opened up my PC case and gave the system a thorough dusting just to be sure but the problem persists. There is also no obvious sign that the PSU is not running (or at least, the fan is spinning), however I am not sure if the GPU fan is spinning since the games I have attempted to run will crash instantaneously, so I would assume the temperature never has a chance to increase to the point that the fans are even employed (?).
I have also run tests to check whether the RAM or HDD is faulty in any way but have found no problems with either.
If I have missed any other important information please ask what you would otherwise need to know!

I am hoping that somebody finds this post and is able to determine themselves, or to help me determine, whether the issues I am experiencing can be attributed to the GPU, PSU or some other component/factor that I am overlooking!
I was already considering purchasing a new GPU before this issue, but I would like to be confident in knowing where the fault lies before I do so.

My specs are below:

Case CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600K (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® Z170-P: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM) 8GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960 - 1 DVI, HDMI, 3 DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans 2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI CARD
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2
FRONT PORTS

I would like to point out also that I did not build this PC but rather chose components and had it built by a third party which I may also be able to get in touch with. The PSU that I have was calculated and tested as being adequate for the system and the peripherals that I have as well.

Please help!

Solution
Honestly, I would recommend just buying a new 500W power supply and seeing if that works. My gaming PC has a GTX 680 and works just fine with my 500W PSU. If that doesn't work, just buy a new GPU. Who knows, it could be a problem with your hardware.

Oh, and Portal 2 was running at about 140 FPS on my PC so it's not that demanding. But chances are it's the problem with the power supply and not your graphics card or something like that.
If you can get to your desktop and run regular, non demanding programs like Excel and no problems emerge, but when you run something stressful like a game or maybe a benchmark you get problems, that implies power might be an issue. Your videocard draws little power unless it's being stressed. If your power supply was compromised in some way by that power surge, it's possible that it will seem to work fine until you ask more of it. Then it can't supply the power and there's your problem. It could be that Portal 2 simply isn't that demanding.

Feb 22, 2018

Is there a way I can be sure that the PSU was compromised and not the video card? For example, is there a way I can increase the power demand from the PSU without involving the GPU?

woahwoahwilly

Honorable
Jan 18, 2018
Honestly, I would recommend just buying a new 500W power supply and seeing if that works. My gaming PC has a GTX 680 and works just fine with my 500W PSU. If that doesn't work, just buy a new GPU. Who knows, it could be a problem with your hardware.

Oh, and Portal 2 was running at about 140 FPS on my PC so it's not that demanding. But chances are it's the problem with the power supply and not your graphics card or something like that.

Solution