[SOLVED] trying to image a partion need to mount image

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi i another post im invited to try to repair a partition on a hdd.
since there are other partitions on the hdd i thought of doing images of them.

i downloaded paragon, it ask me to install adk
so i downloaded KB3AIK_EN it is an iso.

im trying top follow this
https://docplayer.net/2642608-Paragon-boot-media-builder.html

i never understood what mounting really means apart from make usable
i have not enough space on hdd so i would mount it on dvd
i have power iso.
there is a mount button but what to do ?

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
i have ran the wisard but forgot to take note of what the path is and now im like a dumb cause paragon ask me to show him the path to adk and i dont know
what is the file that i am searching exactly and where should it be?

nothing happens when i click find adk in paragon...

No idea what you are trying to do here, are you trying to do a backup of your disk so you can wipe the partitions off it? What disk is this? That screenshot does not explain anything, it just shows your C drive and some readme file.

Start at the beginning, what are you trying to do here and to what disk?

Whatever you are trying to do, mounting an ISO file does not seem to be what you need here.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi yes im trying to make images of partition on a 1 tera spinpoint hdd on wich a win 7 partition is. when i changed my pc the win7 did not want to start anymore .
so before trying to repaire the win7 partition or delete it, i want to make image of ther other partitions (data) on the hdd to have a copy in case the whole hdd goes bad when trying to repair win7 or delete it.

i tried using paragon from a laptop win7 connected to the hdd with adaptor.
but i need to create a recue disk.. that is where im stucked

since i will have win 10 and linux on the new pc, should i make the images from this nower pc instead of the old laptop (not liking to do rescue disk)

do you understand more what im trying to do? coping the data partitions of a hdd 1 tera where there is a broken win7 version( the win 7 did not like me changing pc..)

do you understand more what im trying to do? coping the data partitions of a hdd 1 tera where there is a broken win7 version( the win 7 did not like me changing pc..)
Yes if you connect this drive to a different PC it will show up and you can copy or clone anything you want to a different drive.

You mounted the windows Automated Installation Kit on drive G: which is part of what the guide says to do but this guide is for something completely different and way more advanced then what you need to do.

Also there is no need to do any cloning if you boot with windows installation media you can delete the windows 7 partition create a new one in its place and install a new version of windows without anything happening to your other partitions.

Also also there are lots of cloning tools where creating a bootable medium is much more easier, for example here you can use rufus to make a usb containing clonezilla, the best opensource cloner out there.
https://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php
Or you could get a tool that you install and then lets you create a bootable version from their menu like Macrium Reflect

hi yes im trying to make images of partition on a 1 tera spinpoint hdd on wich a win 7 partition is. when i changed my pc the win7 did not want to start anymore .
so before trying to repaire the win7 partition or delete it, i want to make image of ther other partitions (data) on the hdd to have a copy in case the whole hdd goes bad when trying to repair win7 or delete it.

i tried using paragon from a laptop win7 connected to the hdd with adaptor.
but i need to create a recue disk.. that is where im stucked

since i will have win 10 and linux on the new pc, should i make the images from this nower pc instead of the old laptop (not liking to do rescue disk)

You can't move a Windows setup to another computer and have it work properly, you need to start with a full clean setup.

If you want a backup of the setup as a disk image, you need to get another disk of the same size, then image the disk to that. You can either clone it or make an image file. I like Macrium Reflect, you can make a bootable USB disk to do the imaging with.

Or a better idea is to just buy a new drive, and setup the computer using that, put aside the existing drive with the files intact.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
HI
for the tera spinpoint, i think it will be better safer just to use it as a data disk without any os on it. instead, i will install win 10 on a separate physical500g hdd and linux on a ssd .
-what is the safest way to remove the spinpoint tera 's partion with brocken win 7(remember ill dont want to replace it with win 10).

And maybe more importantly ill want to do images of the data partitions of the spinpoint before removing broken win7(i have given up the idea of repairing it). If i remember correctly clozilla works less well with window than macrium . ? Exact?

i need opinion on that mayby i should start new post or it is not that big?:
I have worked with macrium a bit yet but clonezilla is unknown so on this point part of me says take macrium.
on the other hand, since i am heading to build a dual boot , having just one software that works for both os is the way to go(macrium does not like linux). if equally i would prefer learning clonezilla .

I guess the question is does clonezilla (used with win10)do all that macrium does? or is it more complexe that macrium? im open to stick to macrium for win os images an clonezilla for linux os images too .
I wait for your advice
tx

USAFRet

Titan
CloneZilla does not do all that Macrium does.
It is a clone tool. One drive to another, for use right now.

Macrium also does images, for future use backups. Full, Incremental, Differential.

Also, CloneZilla requires a target drive of the same size or larger.
Macrium will migrate to a smaller physical drive, assuming the consumed space fits.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
1same size larger of free space or same size larger even if the destination is 75 pourcent full?

2is there a freeware thatworks on linux that does images?

3acan you clone only the OS partition of a disk?

3bif yes what is the advantage of the clone over an image of the os( i think there is the disadvantage of clone taking more space.. so there must me advantages ?)

USAFRet

Titan
1same size larger of free space or same size larger even if the destination is 75 pourcent full?

2is there a freeware thatworks on linux that does images?

3acan you clone only the OS partition of a disk?

3bif yes what is the advantage of the clone over an image of the os( i think there is the disadvantage of clone taking more space.. so there must me advantages ?)
1. Consumed space is what you're looking for.
For instance...to clone into a 500GB target drive, the actual consumed spce on the Source must be below 400GB. No matter what the physical size of the drive is.

2. No idea

3. Sort of, but you also need the small boot partition. ANd you can't extract 'noly the OS'. The whole partition or drive.

3b. A clone is to use right now, to change from one drive to another. An Image would be used as a backup. Or, if the target system only has one applicable slot for the drive swap. You'd use an Image to some other drive as an intermediate step.

TRENDING THREADS