Question Trying to install NVMe ssd into Asus z390-a board

Aug 6, 2023
Hello
In my setup I have 3 WD HDD 1TB in a raid 0 configuration. I've had this setup since 2018. The HDD are starting to get on their last legs. I purchased a 4TB P3 crucial NVMe so that I can clone the raid0 virtual disk to the NVMe. When installing the NVMe, it would show in the bios there is an NVMe as a storage device. but under the NVMe section in bios there is no storage device detected. In windows the NVMe is not found. When trying to install it into the second NVMe slot, it goes on an infinite loop of bios logo to preparing disk repair. I am using a z390a motherboard with i7 9700k, 16bg of ram. How can i sort this out?

Aug 6, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see what your current BIOS version for your motherboard is? + Is this the motherboard you're working with? Which slot, per the motherboard manual, are you trying to populate with the SSD?
I tried flashing it in bios using the internet option but now when I boot my pc, it skips over the motherboard logo and goes to windows.
Using system information to find the bios info says that it's American megatrends 1802, 12/2020.
dqGcbR1.png

If you search up the z390-a motherboard manual, I'm using the top slot above the PCIe slots

Aug 6, 2023
Is this 3x HDD RAID 0 the OS drive?
If so, you can't really clone it to a single drive, of any type.

Give us more details on the virtual drive thing, and the whole config.
Yes I have the 3 1Tb HDD raid 0 as my OS drive.
1HwFaQM.png

This is the config in disk managment. When I would have the NVMe installed it be this exact screen

Aug 6, 2023
Start over.
Clean install on the new NVMe.

You will spend FAR more time trying to clone this and getting it right, than to just do a new install on the new drive.

Before you take this apart, find and save all your personal info and docs off to some other drive.
Thank you for one fair pointed option I do appreciate it. I was saving that to be for my last option. I have a lot of documents/programs from my years in college that are too much for me to save. Also don't know if i can fit everything I want to save onto a flash drive I have.

If this was your last option what else would you do instead?

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for one fair pointed option I do appreciate it. I was saving that to be for my last option. I have a lot of documents/programs from my years in college that are too much for me to save. Also don't know if i can fit everything I want to save onto a flash drive I have.

If you do not have a known good backup of anything and everything you do not wish to lose....STOP.

Fix that problem first.

Seriously.

There are far too many ways for this to go wrong and you lose everything.

A RAID 0 should never be turned on at all without a known good full drive backup.
But whatever...

A clean install on the new drive. No question.
That is the only option here.

I would not attempt to "clone" a 3x HDD RAID 0 to a new NVMe drive. Ever.
And I am a clone aficionado.

Aug 6, 2023
If you do not have a known good backup of anything and everything you do not wish to lose....STOP.

Fix that problem first.

Seriously.

There are far too many ways for this to go wrong and you lose everything.

A RAID 0 should never be turned on at all without a known good full drive backup.
But whatever...

A clean install on the new drive. No question.
That is the only option here.

I would not attempt to "clone" a 3x HDD RAID 0 to a new NVMe drive. Ever.
And I am a clone aficionado.
How come trying to clone the raid 0 to a NVme is not optimal? It's sad it has come to this point of having to start over due to lack of due diligence

USAFRet

Titan
How come trying to clone the raid 0 to a NVme is not optimal? It's sad it has come to this point of having to start over due to lack of due diligence
Because cloning the current OS config will attempt to retain some of the RAID 0 thing.

This will not transfer well to a new single drive.

You can try it if you wish.
I wouldn't hold ot much hope for 100% working.

How old is this RAID 0 install?
How much old gunk will you be cloning into the new drive?

Aug 6, 2023
Because cloning the current OS config will attempt to retain some of the RAID 0 thing.

This will not transfer well to a new single drive.

You can try it if you wish.
I wouldn't hold ot much hope for 100% working.

How old is this RAID 0 install?
How much old gunk will you be cloning into the new drive?
It's fairly old almost 5 years ago I did it. Out of the 2.7 TB available on the virtual drive, only 1.06 TB is free. I have a 256gb USB, going to take this week to clean up my drive and transfer the important documents over.

I ended up flashing my bios to the latest update, going to reinstall the NVMe and see if it appears in windows.