[SOLVED] Trying to make a minecraft server for the boys but can't port forward.

Tacoswag92

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
With the new Minecraft craze me and the boys decided that we should make a server to play together on, I stupidly volunteered to host it despite my lack of knowledge with server hosting and now I can't seem to figure out how to port forward correctly on my router. I have charter and a f@st 5260 router. I'll walk you through what I've been doing to no avail.

First I logged onto my router at 192.168.1.1 and then go to the "Access Control" category and then the "Port Forwarding" subcategory. I went to "add rule" and proceeded to type in all the necessary info(service : other, protocol TDP/UDP, external host: my IP from googling what is was, internal host: this PCs 192.168 thing, external port: 25565, internal port: 25565) . After all that I hit update and tried to load up the server. I could join when I typed in "localhost" but no one else could when typing in my IP with the port number at the end. So I checked several port checker websites to see if the port had been forwarded correctly and all of them said that the port was closed, and even downloaded portforward.com's "Network Utilities" and was saying that the port is not forwarded . As a temporary solution I've been hosting it using ngrok but the ping for everyone is well over 200ms and spikes into the 600ms at times making it very aggravating to play.

I believe this to either be a stupid mistake on my part or something wrong with the way my router or charter handles port forwarding. If anyone has any insight that could help me solve this problem or if you need anymore information from me please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Does the IP you blacked out match the ip you see on the port scanner web sites. You must have a public IP. If these do not match it mean you do not have a public ip and it will never work.

The program must be running on the pc for it to respond to the scans.

It gets messy trying to access a server both internally and externally. The router needs a special feature generally called hairpin to use the external ip from a internal machine. They do not generally document if routers have this feature or not.

It generally works better if you use the internal address from internal machines and the external ip from the external machines.
Does the IP you blacked out match the ip you see on the port scanner web sites. You must have a public IP. If these do not match it mean you do not have a public ip and it will never work.

The program must be running on the pc for it to respond to the scans.

It gets messy trying to access a server both internally and externally. The router needs a special feature generally called hairpin to use the external ip from a internal machine. They do not generally document if routers have this feature or not.

It generally works better if you use the internal address from internal machines and the external ip from the external machines.

Solution