[SOLVED] trying to make work a floppy disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2021
hello, everybody.
I am doing a monography about floppy disks, but would be easiest if I could see it working.
I prefer don't adquire a old pc for that.
But I am having trouble trying in the windows 10.
I am using a floppy to usb connection, because my motherboard doesn't has input for floppy cable.
However, it doesn't even show in My computer. What can I do?
I attached some pictures.

https://ibb.co/LJjNYsX
https://ibb.co/ZMcdy1J

sorry for the poor english

Last edited:
Reactions: madlinux
Sep 14, 2021
"NEC USB floppy" appears to be how the external device is identified.

Anyway it appears that Windows can see the file system on the diskette (FAT). Have you checked the position of the write protect tab?
yes, I have checked.
it is strange that the system recognize the drive but doesn't format.
if I try to format using the command prompt, I get the error:
Error in IOCTL Call

Sep 14, 2021
do you hear anything from your floppy drive?
it should be audible when accesing it
not. not even the led blinks
I found it in microsoft site

This problem occurs on disks that do not contain a media descriptor byte in the BIOS parameter block (BPB) of the boot sector. Some older preformatted floppy disks do not contain a media descriptor byte. Older product disks may also not have the media descriptor byte.

The media descriptor indicates the type of medium currently in a drive. With MS-DOS and Windows 95, you do not have to set the media descriptor byte. Therefore this problem does not occur with these older operating systems.

The media descriptor byte is located in the BPB of the boot sector at offset 21 (15h) and in the first byte of each FAT on the disk.

Resolution
To resolve this problem, re-format the floppy disk with Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003.

😢

not. not even the led blinks
I found it in microsoft site

This problem occurs on disks that do not contain a media descriptor byte in the BIOS parameter block (BPB) of the boot sector. Some older preformatted floppy disks do not contain a media descriptor byte. Older product disks may also not have the media descriptor byte.

The media descriptor indicates the type of medium currently in a drive. With MS-DOS and Windows 95, you do not have to set the media descriptor byte. Therefore this problem does not occur with these older operating systems.

The media descriptor byte is located in the BPB of the boot sector at offset 21 (15h) and in the first byte of each FAT on the disk.

Resolution
To resolve this problem, re-format the floppy disk with Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003.

😢
if not even led blinks, then you cant reformat it
i just noticed, your floppy drive also need 4pin to power it up
your picture shows its not connected in floppy drive
https://imgbb.com/LJjNYsX

Sep 14, 2021
hello, everybody. after power up the floppy, trying to format in windows xp and test other things, no sucess. I quitted.
I think that the device is definitely faulty.. I'll try to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.