Trying to rebuild a computer, but running into a lot of problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattrickman

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
First off here are the current specs for the computer I am trying to get to function:

Processor: MAD FX(tm)-4100 Quad Core Processor
Installed RAM 2.00GB (1.75GB usable)
400W Power Supply

And I have a graphics card but am not currently using it, because of an issue.

This used to be my old computer before I took some parts out of it to build my new computer. The computer I am currently trying to rebuild it works -- kind of. It turns on and functions, I can browse the web and what not but there are a lot of flaws right now.

1. The "Disk Usage" will fluctuate between 0%-100% and then back again. What seems to be taking it all up is, svchost.exe (LocalSystemNetworkRestricted). It will go all the way up to 100% disk usage and then all the way back down to 0%.

2. Whenever I try to start up a game such as minecraft, my whole computer just turns off randomly. Sometimes its right when i click on the game and sometimes its after a few seconds of actually playing the game. But it will randomly just shut off my computer. I tried watching the task manager, before it shut off but it doesn't really tell me anything.

3. The last problem is that whenever I try inserting my old graphics card into the computer, my computer will turn on, like all the fans and lights will turn on, but then it will be unresponsive and turn off again. And this only happens when the graphics card is installed. Granted the graphics card is not a very good one. It is old and it is one of the ones you just plug into the motherboard and nothing else. (There is no place to plug anything into it from the power supply).

These are the things that are getting to me and I can't seem to figure out.
Any help is appreciated!

mattrickman

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Its windows 8, 64 bit. Currently un-activated but thats what it is temporarily.

The card I am not sure of it just came with some random pre-built PC I bought years ago. I am unable to tell by inspecting the graphics card.

The power supply is an Allied ATX 400W Switching Power Supply.

mattrickman

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

The parts that I did not remove were the motherboard, CPU, HDD (although something was wrong and I ended up wiping it clean), and the power supply I am uncertain of. I cannot recall if I took it out or it is a different one than the original.

I took 2x 1GB sticks of RAM from an older computer that I had laying around, and used them in this computer i am currently trying to rebuild.

And yes I installed 64 bit version of Windows 8. Though it is not genuine. I currently have the genuine version on my current PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.