Trying to Save Money

Jan 21, 2019
I know nothing of computers and their insides, so be patient with me and respond kindly. I bought my son a gaming computer, but he needs two more GB to run a flight simulator he desires. Can we install a second graphics card with 2gb or remove the 4gb card and replace it with a 6gb card?

Solution
Sadly, I think you made an unfortunate purchase.
The pc uses a FX-6300 processor which is close to obsolete and has no reasonable upgrade.
The pc uses a GT1030 which is an entry level graphics processor.
Unfortunately, a pre built pc will not include a power supply that is strong enough to support a big graphics card upgrade.

My suggestion is to go ahead and buy the flight sim and see how you do.
My readings say your pc meets the Xplane requirements.
You will then be better able to decide what you need to do if you need better performance.

I think you may be able to install a GTX1050 card which will be better if son plays fast action games.
Can you give more detail of the pc you bought and the flight simulator he wants to run?
GB can mean a variety of things like ram, storage or graphics vram.

Has son tried to run the flight simulator or is he checking specs first?
Recommended requirements are not always truly a requirement.

Do you know the specs or model of the PC and what flight sim he wants to play?

The gb sounds like system RAM, which is not the GPU. The GPU does have VRAM, but they are different things. By knowing the system specs and the system requirements of the flight sim, we will be able to determine easily what you should buy so you dont waste your money on something that does not fix the problem.

Jan 21, 2019

Sadly, I think you made an unfortunate purchase.
The pc uses a FX-6300 processor which is close to obsolete and has no reasonable upgrade.
The pc uses a GT1030 which is an entry level graphics processor.
Unfortunately, a pre built pc will not include a power supply that is strong enough to support a big graphics card upgrade.

My suggestion is to go ahead and buy the flight sim and see how you do.
My readings say your pc meets the Xplane requirements.
You will then be better able to decide what you need to do if you need better performance.

I think you may be able to install a GTX1050 card which will be better if son plays fast action games.

Solution

A good plan.
Look at the power supply you now have.
There are some stronger GTX1050ti cards that need aux 6 pin power which your psu is unlikely to have.
Most will run on pcie slot power