[SOLVED] Trying to stream on Twitch. Upgrade AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB?

Apr 9, 2020
I can stream iRacing without much issue but Dirty Rally 2.0 is choppy

HP - Pavilion Gaming Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G

8GB Memory - Upgraded to 24GB

AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB

I know, not the best but it's all I have. I watched endless YouTube tutorials on how to setup Twitch streaming but It’s still choppy. Streaming and Gameplay.
Would a video card upgrade smooth things out? If so what would you suggest for a card? On a budget though..

Solution
Nice. So my graphics card is fine? I stream with 2 webcams plus the game I’m playing. Racing sims..

Yeah that's your issue, you def need a better CPU for all that. A Ryzen 2600 would be a pretty big upgrade over the 2400G ( will lose integrated graphics but your have GPU so it wont matter) and if you look around the used market like eBay and FacebookMarket place you could try and get a Ryzen 2700 which would be 8 core 16 threads in the 120-150 USD range. There's nothing wrong with used CPUs, just make sure there is a picture of the under side to check for bent/damaged pins.
For streaming it depends on how you are encoding the video. If you are using your CPU to encode then that 4 core 8 thread CPU is the issue so you should either turn down the stream quality or upgrade it to something like a Ryzen 2600/2700 or with BIOS update for the mobo a Ryzen 3600/3700.

If you are using your GPU for encoding, which I believe it depends on what application you are using to stream. I think the AMD software ReLive can use the GPU, however if you use OBS or other software you'll have to investigate how to use the RX580 since I think they natively only support Nvidia cards for it.

Apr 9, 2020
For streaming it depends on how you are encoding the video. If you are using your CPU to encode then that 4 core 8 thread CPU is the issue so you should either turn down the stream quality or upgrade it to something like a Ryzen 2600/2700 or with BIOS update for the mobo a Ryzen 3600/3700.

If you are using your GPU for encoding, which I believe it depends on what application you are using to stream. I think the AMD software ReLive can use the GPU, however if you use OBS or other software you'll have to investigate how to use the RX580 since I think they natively only support Nvidia cards for it.
I’m using Streamlabs OBS. I’ve changed the settings so many time I’m not even sure what the default settings were.
Remind me, how do I turn down the stream quality?
I’ll start up computer in the morning and go through the settings again. I’ve taken in a large amount of info the past few days.

Nice. So my graphics card is fine? I stream with 2 webcams plus the game I’m playing. Racing sims..

Yeah that's your issue, you def need a better CPU for all that. A Ryzen 2600 would be a pretty big upgrade over the 2400G ( will lose integrated graphics but your have GPU so it wont matter) and if you look around the used market like eBay and FacebookMarket place you could try and get a Ryzen 2700 which would be 8 core 16 threads in the 120-150 USD range. There's nothing wrong with used CPUs, just make sure there is a picture of the under side to check for bent/damaged pins.

Reactions: ukoa
Solution
Apr 9, 2020

Awesome. Thank you for the replies. I will look into the 2600.
I guess I should also try to find an alternative to Streamlabs OBS. That also part of the problem?

Awesome. Thank you for the replies. I will look into the 2600.
I guess I should also try to find an alternative to Streamlabs OBS. That also part of the problem?

Again its not so much the software as how you are encoding the video. As I said try and stream in 720P 30fps and if possible use GPU hardware acceleration to do it. Im not a huge streamer. You might want to check out the OBS form https://obsproject.com/forum/ or reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/obs/ to look around and post there for more in depth information.

Reactions: ukoa
Apr 9, 2020