[SOLVED] Trying to understand hdd specs

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I want a new HDD, my main priority is for it to be an additional drive for storing a few things but I also plan on running games on it.
So, from what I've gathered doing research I should be thinking, 7200rpm over 5400 (for the gaming, editing), PMR if possible. Is that right? The gaming means I'm better off going for the 7200, right? (I know it only affects loading time but I've heard it can also affect games that are heavily modded because then it's not just loading the game once, but rather constant loading of elements.)

Solution
All drives use PMR. You want CMR.
PMR = CMR

OP:
You are correct to seek out 7200 RPM drives if you're going to actively run programs off it. I would definitely avoid the SMR models. Fortunately, due to a not-too-recent snafu, manufacturers are now forced to publish the magnetic recording type for each of their HDD models. You can freely choose a 7200 RPM CMR drive with the capacity that you need.

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
What size are you looking at, and what is your budget for this?
I'd like 4TB. I was hoping to spend less than 200 Canadian.
Considered a solid state drive for this?
I need more storage space than what I could afford in SSD.
What other drives are in this system?
An SSD for the C drive, a 4TB 5900rpm storage drive (ST4000DM005), and a 2TB 7200rpm storage drive (ST2000VX000) I play some games on but that I'm hoping to retire.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
All drives use PMR. You want CMR.
PMR = CMR

OP:
You are correct to seek out 7200 RPM drives if you're going to actively run programs off it. I would definitely avoid the SMR models. Fortunately, due to a not-too-recent snafu, manufacturers are now forced to publish the magnetic recording type for each of their HDD models. You can freely choose a 7200 RPM CMR drive with the capacity that you need.

Solution

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
PMR = CMR

OP:
You are correct to seek out 7200 RPM drives if you're going to actively run programs off it. I would definitely avoid the SMR models. Fortunately, due to a not-too-recent snafu, manufacturers are now forced to publish the magnetic recording type for each of their HDD models. You can freely choose a CMR with the size that you need.
Yeah, I was also of the impression that PMR and CMR were the same thing. Anyway, as long as it's not SMR for this application that's all that counts there.
I don't know how easily they make that info available but I suppose if you search around a bit you CAN find out if a drive is SMR or PMR/CMR. Ok, so 7200. Good to know.

Yeah, I was also of the impression that PMR and CMR were the same thing. Anyway, as long as it's not SMR for this application that's all that counts there.
I don't know how easily they make that info available but I suppose if you search around a bit you CAN find out if a drive is SMR or PMR/CMR. Ok, so 7200. Good to know.
Disk.......If your going to play games that pull in pieces of itself from the disk while your playing the game you might not be happy with a hdd......pauses while waiting for the pieces.

Anyway read some reviews on one of these.
https://www.newegg.com/black-wd4005fzbx-4tb/p/234-000G-000W6?&quicklink=true

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
PMR is not CMR.

An SMR drive is both SMR and PMR.

A CMR drive is both CMR and PMR.

PMR relates to how the bits are recorded whereas SMR and CMR refer to the way that the tracks are recorded. Apples and oranges.
I agree with you.

However, it has come to a point that in most documentations, KBs, and marketing materials, PMR has become to mean the same thing as CMR and hence, are being used interchangeably.

... it has come to a point that in most documentations, KBs, and marketing materials, PMR has become to mean the same thing as CMR and hence, are being used interchangeably.

I don't trust marketing materials, especially those produced by WD. That said, even the technical documents often omit references to CMR and SMR. In fact WD has been deliberately deceptive in certain areas, eg spin speed.

This guide spells it out clearly:
https://hddscan.com/blog/2020/hdd-wd-smr.html