Question Trying to understand why computer randomly restarts under load

MStick

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
In the past few weeks my computer has been randomly restarting when gaming, with the computer losing power for an instant and then rebooting itself. I was able to reproduce this fairly regularly playing a game, where within a few minutes it would restart, and monitoring my component temp using Speedfan and OCCT and noticed that my GPU (Sapphire Radeon 7970) would rapidly climb to the high 80s before the shutdown would happen. Opening my case I noticed that both my GPU fans stopped working so figured it was due to this. I did a DIY installation of two 100mm case fans, reapplied thermal paste and temps did seem to be lower, and I was able to play a few longer sessions of the game, although the GPU did climb to the mid 80's over time. The game itself (Risk of Rain 2) does get very cumbersome on the CPU/GPU the longer you play, and last night after an hour or so the restart happened again. I had periodically alt-tabbed to check the GPU temp and it has reached 87 or so at one point, but it could have been higher prior to the reset.

A few questions:
  1. I did the OCCT's stress test and nothing crashed, but I'm wondering if the culprit here may be the PSU - is there anyway to test this aside from getting a new PSU? I read that this card could reach 100 degrees theoretically before shutting down, and I don't think it reached that high last night in my latest session.
  2. Are there any programs which log (in a .txt file) every x number of seconds component temperature so I can try and see if that is indeed the issue and there is a breaking point? I tried looking at windows logs but it didn't have any useful information
  3. If cooling is the issue, are there any inexpensive solutions that are recommended for this card? I know these case fans aren't designed for cooling a GPU and I realized yesterday in the BIOS that I could force increase their RPM slightly - yesterday there were running at ~800RPM and now I force increased it to 1100RPM (can't do more that this or I would).
  4. My motherboard is MSI Z87-G65 and in the BIOS 1100 RPM was the max I could increase the fans to (I actually attached the fans directly to the motherboard as they are 3 prong, not 4) - is there any way to "overclock" the fans past the limit?
  5. Prior to my installing the case fans + thermal paste twice when the computer would lose power it would try and reboot itself and lose power again after a second or so (sometimes successful, sometimes not). It tried this a few times before I unplugged the PSU. With the latest crash last night it rebooted fine.
Thanks in advance!

MStick

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
PSU is 3 years old or so I think, Seasonic X-650. I do dust fairly regularly but can't recall taking the unit out completely and dusting it - would that make a big difference?