[SOLVED] Trying to update BIOS

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 UC AD

I don't think I've ever updated a BIOS, so I'm a bit lost. But Gigabyte has a software program, @bios, except I couldn't get it to work. I uninstalled it a couple weeks ago and today I reinstalled it and tried to use it - and it looked like it worked! It saved and loaded and restarted my pc and changed my arbg fan to its original color...but when I do run --> msinfo32, it still shows BIOS at F5 and I should be at F6d. Am I not supposed to be on F6d and how do I tell? There are warnings from Gigabyte everywhere to not update the bios if you don't know what you're doing but this time I thought the software worked, but maybe I'm just installing F5 on top of F5? The @bios program has an option to install from a file too, and I think I have the file, but if I'm not supposed to be at F6d I don't want to screw it up.

I've actually been reading guides all night about updating the bios and there are issues with outdated info, I think. I can download the zipped bios file from Gigabyte, but there is no exe file. Gigabyte no longer uses the Q-Flash program it once had and I'm not sure about doing it manually. Also I don't have a clean usb drive with me, and I'm unclear on how to do it if saved in Windows. In the downloaded zip file there were some vague instructions for the dos method and I'm not doing that.

Dumb question: can I put the bios files on the usb, toss everything else into another folder, and then it will q-flash itself? I'm guessing no...

Also there is a button on my motherboard for flashing the bios when the pc is offline but I think that has bad idea written all over it.

Basically I've already forgotten half of what I read, I don't know what the software is telling me, and I need someone to hold my hand through updating my bios. I have no idea why this is so hard.

Solution
Ac normally stands for Wi-Fi and that is what you have
it is a beta bios for same purpose as the one on the UD board.
seems the manual is the same for both anyway.

you can access the Q Flash part of bios on the System info page. Its on page 35 of manual - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z490-ud-ac_e.pdf

as for the button
Q-Flash Plus allows you to update the BIOS when your system is off (S5 shutdown state). Save the latest BIOS on a USB thumb drive and plug it into the dedicated port, and then you can now flash the BIOS automatically by simply pressing the Q-Flash Plus button. The QFLED will flash when the BIOS matching and flashing activities start and will stop flashing when the main BIOS flashing is...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can find this board but the bios number you have doesn't match whats showing here - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/Z490-UD-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

I can't find a Z490 UC?
I can see F6d for Z490M

its possible, if F6d is anything like F6c which is on site above, the bios is a beta and the updater doesn't grab beta bios.
Workaround beta BIOS to improve G.SKILL 4000 RGB memory stability

there should be a tool in the bios itself you can use to update bios with

that button is used to flash bios when no cpu is in PC< I expect it also flashes it normally if you put USB in right slot and press button (it should tell you in motherboard manual)

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
Oh geez you're right, I typed it wrong, it's Gigabyte Z490 UD AC. Sorry about that! I don't know what AC stands for but it puts it into a different category.

That probably explains everything, that it's a beta. Thank you very much!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ac normally stands for Wi-Fi and that is what you have
it is a beta bios for same purpose as the one on the UD board.
seems the manual is the same for both anyway.

you can access the Q Flash part of bios on the System info page. Its on page 35 of manual - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z490-ud-ac_e.pdf

as for the button
Q-Flash Plus allows you to update the BIOS when your system is off (S5 shutdown state). Save the latest BIOS on a USB thumb drive and plug it into the dedicated port, and then you can now flash the BIOS automatically by simply pressing the Q-Flash Plus button. The QFLED will flash when the BIOS matching and flashing activities start and will stop flashing when the main BIOS flashing is complete.

Solution

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
Huh. So the button isn't just for emergencies. That sounds pretty easy but I'll probably use Q Flash. But thank you so much for finding all that and simplifying it for me, your replies are very helpful!