Question Trying to update to 2.5gb ethernet realtek but PC will not go past 1gb.

Apr 16, 2024
I have an HP h8-1080t desktop tower and it has a pegatron 2a86 motherboard. It comes with Realtek 1gb ethernet and I was able to get another realtek 2.5gb ethernet installed via PCIe slot and system see it but the system will not go past 1gb for speed test. I disabled everything in properties for the 2.5gb but no luck.

Advanced EEE - disabled
ARP offload - disabled
EEE Max Support Speed - 2.5gbps full duplex
Energy-Efficient Ethernet - disabled
Flow control - RX and TX disabled
Gigabit Lite - disabled
Green Ethernet - disabled
Interrupt Moderation - disabled
IPv4 Checksum Offload - RX and TX disabled
Jumbo Frame - disabled
Large Send offload v2 (IPv4) - disabled
Large Send offload v2 (IPv6) - disabled
NS offload - disabled
Power Saving Mode - disabled
Priority and Vlan - disabled
Receive Buffers - 512
Receive Side Scaling - disabled
Shutdown Wake-On-Lan - disabled
Speed and Duplex - 2.5gbps Full Duplex
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - RX and TX disabled
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6) - RX and TX disabled
Transmit Buffers - 512
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - RX and TX disabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6) - RX and TX disabled
VLAN ID - 0
Wake on Magic Packet - disabled
Wake on Pattern Match - disabled
WOL and Shutdown Link Speed - Not Speed Down

I wonder if it is due to motherboard limitation? Any thoughts?

kanewolf

Titan
I have an HP h8-1080t desktop tower and it has a pegatron 2a86 motherboard. It comes with Realtek 1gb ethernet and I was able to get another realtek 2.5gb ethernet installed via PCIe slot and system see it but the system will not go past 1gb for speed test. I disabled everything in properties for the 2.5gb but no luck.

Advanced EEE - disabled
ARP offload - disabled
EEE Max Support Speed - 2.5gbps full duplex
Energy-Efficient Ethernet - disabled
Flow control - RX and TX disabled
Gigabit Lite - disabled
Green Ethernet - disabled
Interrupt Moderation - disabled
IPv4 Checksum Offload - RX and TX disabled
Jumbo Frame - disabled
Large Send offload v2 (IPv4) - disabled
Large Send offload v2 (IPv6) - disabled
NS offload - disabled
Power Saving Mode - disabled
Priority and Vlan - disabled
Receive Buffers - 512
Receive Side Scaling - disabled
Shutdown Wake-On-Lan - disabled
Speed and Duplex - 2.5gbps Full Duplex
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - RX and TX disabled
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6) - RX and TX disabled
Transmit Buffers - 512
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - RX and TX disabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6) - RX and TX disabled
VLAN ID - 0
Wake on Magic Packet - disabled
Wake on Pattern Match - disabled
WOL and Shutdown Link Speed - Not Speed Down

I wonder if it is due to motherboard limitation? Any thoughts?
How are you testing? What is the 2.5GE connected to?

Reactions: tripplej
Apr 16, 2024
Hi everybody, thanks for your inputs.

Some additional information, my router/modem is nokia ONT-XS2426 and when I do the speed test within the nokia app, I get 2.5gb. So, I know it is getting 2.5gb fiber speed.

However, when I do the speed test on my PC via speedtest.net, I always get less than 1gb. (900mbs etc)..

I got the realtek RTL8125B (2.5g base T PCIe network card) and it fit fine on the PCIe slot within the motherboard and when I go to network settings, I see it is functioning fine and I see it has latest drivers and it is showing 2.5gb for the speed. Only drawback is the speed when testing will never go past 1gb..

I highly suspect it is the motherboard limiting me to 1gb.. It has a realtek 1gb ethernet already and I disabled it so that it wouldn't interfere.

Yeah, I suspect the motherboard is too old to handle the 2.5gb card...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi everybody, thanks for your inputs.

Some additional information, my router/modem is nokia ONT-XS2426 and when I do the speed test within the nokia app, I get 2.5gb. So, I know it is getting 2.5gb fiber speed.

However, when I do the speed test on my PC via speedtest.net, I always get less than 1gb. (900mbs etc)..

I got the realtek RTL8125B (2.5g base T PCIe network card) and it fit fine on the PCIe slot within the motherboard and when I go to network settings, I see it is functioning fine and I see it has latest drivers and it is showing 2.5gb for the speed. Only drawback is the speed when testing will never go past 1gb..

I highly suspect it is the motherboard limiting me to 1gb.. It has a realtek 1gb ethernet already and I disabled it so that it wouldn't interfere.

Yeah, I suspect the motherboard is too old to handle the 2.5gb card...
Google the model number of your Nokia. There are a lot of different products that show up.
Some have -- Four RJ-45 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports -- You will NOT get faster than 1GE wired connectivity.
Some have -- One RJ-45 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G auto-negotiating interface -- You could get 2.5Gb with that one.
One has -- Two 10/100/1000 Base-T interfaces with RJ-45 connector

I am not exactly sure what router you have.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024
Thanks for the comments.

Mine is XS-2426X-A which has three gigabit standard RJ-45 1000/100/10 mbps ports and one 2.5gb ethernet port. I have a cat6 cable going from that 2.5gb ethernet port on the router/modem to the NIC..

As mentioned above, my motherboard is a civic (too old) and trying to pull that semi (2.5gb) not going to happen so it can only do 1gb at at time!

Time to upgrade, I guess. :)

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the comments.

Mine is XS-2426X-A which has three gigabit standard RJ-45 1000/100/10 mbps ports and one 2.5gb ethernet port. I have a cat6 cable going from that 2.5gb ethernet port on the router/modem to the NIC..

As mentioned above, my motherboard is a civic (too old) and trying to pull that semi (2.5gb)!

Time to upgrade, I guess. :)
First question is what link speed shows up in the router GUI? Does it show a 2.5Gb link speed?
If the link speed is 2.5Gb then your limitation is either the PCIe generation or just the throughput of the processor.

Apr 16, 2024
on the nokia app, when testing the speed on the router, it shows 2.5gb everytime..

on the PC, it is always 900mbps or something very close but never anything more than 1gb.

Apr 16, 2024
Thanks for the clarification.

I went to the nokia home page where I can see the various ethernet lan connections and I do see the below for the 2.5gb connection which is port 4.

Ethernet port 4
Up, 2500 Mbps Full Duplex

Rest all show for the 1gb.

Ethernet port 1
Up, 1000 Mbps Full Duplex

Ethernet port 2

Ethernet port 3

Apr 16, 2024
It is windows 7 home premium.
16gb ram, 64 bit operating system, intel core i7 CPU.

Thanks again. yeah, the max I will get is around 1gb with this motherboard..

Now, I wonder if I should return the 2.5gb NIC or keep it for the next PC..
The NIC is refundable since I just bought it.

kanewolf

Titan
I disabled everything in properties for the 2.5gb but no luck.
I didn't pick up on this on my first read, but DISABLING things is not good. You want the card to do the work so the CPU doesn't have to.
You want the "hardware offload" type things ENABLED.
IMO, anything that says "offload" should be enabled.
I might even uninstall the driver and reinstall it so that you get the factory defaults back.