Trying to use integrated graphics for second monitor

MEGA theguy

Prominent
May 25, 2017
I game on my 144Hz monitor and I wanted to figure out how to get my Intel integrated GPU to power my secondary monitor. I've been tweaking with the settings for some time now and got the iGPU enabled and running when I'm still in the BIOS but it then turns off again when I boot into windows.

i7-4790K
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
GTX 980

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
If you have already enabled igpu multi monitor in the bios, you just need to enable the second screen in windows.

Open the windows display settings. Select the second monitor at the top, then where it says multiple displays, choose extend desktop to this display, hit apply.

MEGA theguy

Prominent
May 25, 2017

The problem with that is that I couldn't get the interface displaying available monitors until i plugged the second monitor back into my 980. When I hit detect, it showed up and I tried to enable it. It then proceeded to flicker on all displays and eventually blue screen my PC.
Stop code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE
What failed: igdkmd64

MEGA theguy

Prominent
May 25, 2017
I have gone into the settings and enabled PEG graphics as well is IGP multi-monitor but that doesn't help. I've also configured which port the integrated graphics is supposed to use in the windows 8/8.1/10 feature settings, but no success.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah that should be all you need to do. Then shut the pc down. Plug monitor into motherboard and switch it on.

Then when your in windows you will prob need to install the Intel HD graphics drivers (look in device manager and you can probably just get windows to find the drivers automatically). When thats finished, reboot again and you should be able to enable it.