Trying to use wifi direct from Windows 8.1 Toshiba Laptop to a Sony Bravia TV that has a Linux OS

Mar 14, 2018
I have a Sony KDL-55W650D Smart TV that has Wifi Direct standard on TV.

When I try to set up the TV which is connected to my internet via Wifi the Wifi direct TV sees can see my laptop and then according to the limited instructions for the TV I should be able to go to my laptop and see what devices are recognised. The laptop can see the TV so when I select project and click on the TV icon and then select connect, the TV immediately changes to Wifi Direct and says its is connected to 1 device and to send content from that device, which is what I am trying to do.

Eventually the laptop says that it cannot connect and I dont know what I am doing wrong.

The salesman where I bought the TV says that it wont work because the laptop is Windows based and the TV is linux based.

Does anyone have any solution for me.

I am now considering buying a Smart HDD recorder with Wifi Direct and using the TV purely as a monitor.

Solution
For direct WiFi what matters is the network adapter on your laptop, not the router. Check the settings on your laptop.

** Edit ... also, did you try the manual connection method? Where you turn on Direct WiFi first, then pick the new WiFi network from your laptop?
Mar 14, 2018
Hi Andrew, I have done all the things available in the options and nothing works. I have also turned off 5G on the modem/router and still nothing.

Thanks for your reply

For direct WiFi what matters is the network adapter on your laptop, not the router. Check the settings on your laptop.

** Edit ... also, did you try the manual connection method? Where you turn on Direct WiFi first, then pick the new WiFi network from your laptop?

Solution