TSA Doesn't Want to See Your Little MacBook Air

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]TSA = Totally Stupid Agents[/citation]

[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]Apple tablet didn't need to be scanned separately because it "doesn't have a CPU or hard drive."[/citation]

NO CPU?? WTF does that have to do with anything???? you could still open it up and hide all kinds from dangerous crap in there! I guess there too busy body scanning the pilots and little old ladies!

TheRockMonsi

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]lol!!^^ sorry typo " we've heard of a dozen people...... "[/citation]

Haha, I didn't realize that until you just pointed it out. I guess that's because I just woke up.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
so if the mac book air does not need to be scanned are we going to see a lot of sales to addresses in known terrorist spots. I mean come on isn't the battery in those things locked inside the unit meaning you can not take it out without pulling the the whole thing apart. How hard would it be for a terrorist to take one of these apart shape some plastic explosive to the shape of the battery hide a 9 volt battery as to look like part of the normal battery & get it through the gates & when get on the plane hit the power button & boom. No it would not be enough to turn on macbook air but I am sure it would be enough to cause a trigger for the plastic explosive to go off.

These types of laptops should go under the more check zone when they go through the gates. A PC laptop has a removable battery & also you can remove other covers as well so the gate people can actually check them out a lot more if needed.

hey maybe I watch to much Mcgyver or mission impossible but I am sure it could be done if they really wanted to.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
just to add to my last comment.

For those that say oh the scanners would show this pretty quick. How would it be for these same people to take the covers off of the battery hide the explosive inside the covers & actually make the battery look like it was never even tampered with. I am not saying I think this is a good idea just saying these people that think blowing up others is ok will probably try anything to them selves heard by every one.

G

this just sounds like viral marketing at its finest. Especially since the first air had one just like it... remember? Michael Nygard was held up at the airport because 'it was too small to be a computer'? I ain't gonna hate on apple for it, good for them, but I sure ain't buying it.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
This doesn't make sense. It's great that some people can escape the airport shakedown, but you can easily replace the internals with enough explosives to blow a hole in the side of a plane. Think about the amount swat uses to blow open a door and apply that to the internal dimensions of a netbook. Congrats, you now have a 12" door buster.

If they're going to invasively scan our bodies, they'd better scan everything. It's irritating to think my netbook gets better treatment than I do...

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I thought the point to scanning laptops was to ensure it had actual electronics in it instead of explosives? Doesn't this mean that someone can pop open their ipad and fill it with explosives instead and not have to worry about it being scanned?

dgingeri

Distinguished
after flying twice in the last week, I can confidently say that TSA screeners generally don't know a bit about what they are doing. They are just there to slow us down, make flying more complicated, and take up extra government money. Gee, that sounds like all government departments!

We really need to tune down this government bloating.

G

Terrorist modified Airbook: “Everything we've learned has come down to this.”

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Honestly, if someone wants to sneak a bomb onto a plane, they're going to. You can't check every substance on a person.... or in a person, for that matter.

All these checks do is slow things down and create a sense of paranoia.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Wait, wait! I got it! What about if someone really wanted to hijack the plane, they would just become a pilot and wait for an opportune time! Yeah! Wow! Now were thinking!

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I thought the reason why you remove your laptop was because it was like a giant 15" metal plate running through the scanner making it difficult to see anything below it. most laptops have boards on top of boards, ontop of drives.

Netbooks on the other hand have far less electronics in them and thus able to see through easier.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
lol so all you bombers out there get a mack bock air strip it put in ass much dynamite as possible and let the enter key be a delay of a min or so and run like you newer done before. im sure you culd get out a pritty big bang for the buck unlike all apples ather produckts

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Don't these guys know???? The things they are letting go thru have edges as sharp as knives????Funny, you can't carry a scissors into a plane but you can carry a MacAir...Yeah , we know, Laptops are bigger and can easily be used to conceal a weapon in but what if the shape itself is and can be used as a weapon??? we've heard a dozed people getting cut by the MacAir.... don't the security guys have any gray matter what so ever?[/citation]

Oh, so its like Meg's famous nail growing power from Family guy. Really, whats it gonna do? Cause an infection. I highly doubt a MacAir is gonna be a lethal weapon.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]simple11[/nom]Oh, so its like Meg's famous nail growing power from Family guy. Really, whats it gonna do? Cause an infection. I highly doubt a MacAir is gonna be a lethal weapon.[/citation]

It will be when it crashes and the customer goes on a crazy rampage screaming "THEY LIED TO ME!"

Status
Not open for further replies.