News TSA Found a Double-Edged Knife Hidden in a Gaming Laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dayne_87

Honorable
May 17, 2016
Wait... In the USA it's not mandatory to screen the electronics separately?

All around the world I've been to, you have to place the laptops, tablets and somesuch independently through the scanning machines. It is quite a pain to do, but it is precisely to make these sorts of findings faster and easier.

Well, good thing they found it anyway.

Regards.

In the US at least there is a thing called "TSA Precheck" where you essentially are "pre-cleared" or trusted to pass through security without removing your shoes, belt, etc. and without removing your laptop from its case/bag. I use it when I infrequently fly and it's a much faster and invasive way to pass through security. I don't remove any clothing, not even my jacket, and just put my phone, wallet, etc. in a little basket separate from the laptop which is in the case with other things like pens, paper, charging cable, etc. However, I could see someone trying to take advantage of that fact and trying to pass dangerous goods through.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
About eight years ago I made it through TSA (in NYC no less) with a Gerber multi-tool that had 3 decent-sized knives in it. Totally forgot it was in there.
They found it at the TSA in Miami and I didn't have time to check my laptop bag.

They're supposed to destroy everything they confiscate. I just asked the guy to please not throw it away - someone should make use of it. With the way he was checking it out I'm sure it never got anywhere near the garbage. :D
They didn't ask if you wanted to check it in? I'm pretty sure that's the policy. On a recent return flight, I had a full sized tube of toothpaste I had forgotten about in my bag, and the TSA agent asked me if I wanted to check it in. I laughed and said, "Check in a tube of toothpaste? No, I'm good you can keep it", and the woman said, "You'd be surprised."

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
This was a test for TSA to help keep them on their toes.
After all badge check has to get pretty mundane now that terror threats have shifted tactics.

USAFRet

Titan
They didn't ask if you wanted to check it in? I'm pretty sure that's the policy. On a recent return flight, I had a full sized tube of toothpaste I had forgotten about in my bag, and the TSA agent asked me if I wanted to check it in. I laughed and said, "Check in a tube of toothpaste? No, I'm good you can keep it", and the woman said, "You'd be surprised."
Long ago, pre-911, flying out of Riyadh...I had a very small needlenose pliers in my backpack. Maybe 4" long.

The security dude gave me the stinkeye, and wanted to push the issue further.
I said: "you keep it...its yours, buddy".
He let me continue.

They did. I was running late. Didn't have time.

bkuhl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Am I the only one that immediately thought this guy bought this laptop on eBay and got a little more then he bargained for? Based on how those fans look, I bet someone did this little custom mod a few years ago and totally forgot about it by the time he sold it.

RandomWan

Prominent
Sep 22, 2022
I never go anywhere without a knife unless I absolutely cannot. What I don't understand is why he didn't just place it in his checked luggage or, if not checking luggage, simply ship it to wherever he was headed? I've done the latter several times, it only costs $10-$15 (USD) and requires just a little bit of planning.

Honestly, though, given the looks of that thing he would have been just as well off getting a $15 gas station knife when he got wherever he was headed and thrown it away when he left.

We used to. It was stopped because of how exceedingly rare occurances like this are in the USA and how much it slowed down security screening for no increase in screening effectiveness.

I used to fly with pocket knives and multi-tools all the time before the government over-stepped itself and started wasting money with TSA. They're not very effective tools outside utilitarian purposes.

I agree, though you can just check a bag and put whatever you need in it. I carried my glock on a trip a few years ago. Its honestly a giant PITA though. The thing that surprised me was how the airline and TSA acted about it. I had to carry the gun in case to the counter and they tagged it and tossed it on the belt. Then when i picked it up they just tossed it on the baggage carousel to spin around a unsecured airport area. Anyone could have picked it up. Kinda crazy.

I haven't done it recently, but when I've flown with them before, I secured mine in a locked case and then stuck it in another bag since I didn't want to advertise. I haven't kept up on any changes and it varies from airline to airline. I think I was flying Southwest the last time.

If he had no "nefarious" things on his mind, as some geniuses here claim, why would that idiot go to great lengths to hide it this way and try to smuggle it onboard??

Yes, he could have bought a cheap knife where he's going or stuck it in his checked in luggage.

But some "sharp" minds here think there is nothing wrong with what this guy has done. And I am sure they'd be the first ones to blame the TSA if that guy poked them with that "toy" knife!!!!!

That toy is more likely to slice up the user's hand than his target. Any amount of resistance will drive the blade back into your hand. I'm not concerned about it and would never bother blaming the TSA for anything as they'll never be held accountable for any failures.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
tumblr_pdrlhdb6nm1xch6xgo4_400-gif.54787

MoxNix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
The quality of writing here at Tom's keeps getting worse. It's hard to believe they actually thought this was newsworthy for a computer hardware site.

Nov 19, 2022
Maybe I’m naive or too trust but the first thing I thought of was someone opened up a laptop to make an upgrade and missed clearing a tool used in the activity as they were closing things up much like a surgeon leaving a clamp inside someone after a surgery. ‘Oh crap. I’ve been looking for that thing. Is my 10mm socket in there too?’

Josepsh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
Why would you smuggle a junk knife you can buy anywhere, and risk being arrested. It doesn't even have a handle. Why would you do that.

Why did he even think he could smuggle a giant piece of metal....shaped....like a knife. Airport detectors aren't perfect, but they sure as hell won't miss a knife going through.

Is there something in the water in Williamsburg Va. that makes people do really dumb stuff or something lol, because this story makes no sense.

He did something good ?. .

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
All I can think when I read articles about the TSA is how much longer until they are done away with? They just started them a few years ago after 9/11 as a short term fix for the threat of terrorism. Well, since we aren't causing trouble in the Middle East anymore, isn't it time to get rid of them????