News TSMC Workers Routinely Asked to Find 'Bomb' Notes in Machinery: Report

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 14196

I tell you, I wouldn’t miss any of those notes, because I’m a maniac about stuff like that details matter

Reactions: bit_user
May 23, 2023
A report suggests that TSMC supervisors are hiding 'bomb' notes inside machinery, to ensure routine inspections are thorough.

TSMC Workers Routinely Asked to Find 'Bomb' Notes in Machinery: Report : Read more
Don't think it would go over well here in the US. Worked for one of the biggest Tech companies and they would give out candy bars on the line if you caught any problem from a previous line operator. Snitching aside, all wanted to do a professional job and really just let the operator know of the mistake. They made it a contest and contests have cheaters. Other countries workers do what they are told by the book, the engineers book. Bomb notes are not professional here. You are not expected to look for tricks. It is tough enough to follow the directions and do a good job. I doubt if they are fun over there. They don't trust you and don't value you as a thinking employee. Screw that nonsense.

USAFRet

Titan
Don't think it would go over well here in the US. Worked for one of the biggest Tech companies and they would give out candy bars on the line if you caught any problem from a previous line operator. Snitching aside, all wanted to do a professional job and really just let the operator know of the mistake. They made it a contest and contests have cheaters. Other countries workers do what they are told by the book, the engineers book. Bomb notes are not professional here. You are not expected to look for tricks. It is tough enough to follow the directions and do a good job. I doubt if they are fun over there. They don't trust you and don't value you as a thinking employee. Screw that nonsense.
And some places in the US, the Security team will send out a phishing email, to see who bites, and fails the test.
No difference.

D

Deleted member 14196

So now workers are focused on finding notes a not actual problems, brilliant.
Why would you think that people would do that? Is that something you would do? most people do their jobs

I would say that only the scum would focus on finding only notes, but you always have scum. And that’s a managerial problem.

If the people being punished were actually doing their job for real, they would be finding these notes so your argument is Null and void

May 24, 2023
Why would you think that people would do that? Is that something you would do? most people do their jobs

I would say that only the scum would focus on finding only notes, but you always have scum. And that’s a managerial problem.

If the people being punished were actually doing their job for real, they would be finding these notes so your argument is Null and void
If I was having points added or deducted, then yes, I would be looking for the things that are deemed important by management, bomb notes in this case. My current job is to be proactive in finding problems before they become problems, anything that distracts from that is a detriment. This is a stunt only management could love and an insult to the workers who take their jobs seriously. It won't be around long.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
TSMC has built a $500 billion business and, nearly 40 years later, is still one of the fastest growing companies in the world. I think their labor policies are working for them better than your theoretical ones.

These employees aren't polishing desks; they're inspecting machines worth tens and even hundreds of millions of dollars. Would you patronize a hospital that refused to punish nurses who didn't properly monitor patients, choosing instead to grant those who actually did a free "ice cream break" now and then?
Please show me where TSMC has been working in reverse of most other businesses. Please show me where TSMC has been relying on negative reinforcement rather than positive reinforcement.

You're relying on bombast than making any logical point to defend your knee-jerk reaction against the concept of using the carrot rather than the stick.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Please show me where TSMC has been working in reverse of most other businesses.
False premise. Nearly all major corporations conduct performance-based annual evaluations, and most of these are point-based systems of some sort, with points being both added and subtracted -- the carrot and the stick) If you're a government union member or working for a unicorn startup, you can avoid this reality, but otherwise not.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
False premise. Nearly all major corporations conduct performance-based annual evaluations, and most of these are point-based systems of some sort, with points being both added and subtracted -- the carrot and the stick) If you're a government union member or working for a unicorn startup, you can avoid this reality, but otherwise not.
Well, at least your non-reality biases are showing.

Right, performance based evaluations - but those who don't do so well still get increases, or a flat, zero increase. I'll leave aside for a bit that some places have even done zero-increases for GOOD employees.

Yet, you literally equated the carrot with giving out money to people to not commit rape, assault, and murder, and threw in snarky political commentary which had no business being in this thread. I was not using a false premise, I was going with what you posted.

May 24, 2023
Workers just should do the job they are payed for responsibly.

We can not stick any bomb note to any compartment of jetfighters we do maintenance on. My supervisors have to trust me even there are many control mechanisms.

Benefits are based on slowly built trust and if employer does not appraise your work, find better job where they do...

USAFRet

Titan
We can not stick any bomb note to any compartment of jetfighters we do maintenance on. My supervisors have to trust me even there are many control mechanisms.
This is in my wheelhouse.

No, you can't just stick a "bomb" note in a jet.

But there are many many other ways to 'test' that they actually looked at what they are supposed to, and noticed what was "wrong".
The evaluators introducing errors on purpose is a very common thing.

Reactions: bit_user

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Well, at least your non-reality biases are showing.

Right, performance based evaluations - but those who don't do so well still get increases, or a flat, zero increase.
Eh? When a bad performance review costs you a large bonus, or the annual salary boost that other employees receive, that's negative reinforcement. And your basic premise is at fault -- this is far from the worst consequence of such a review. A smaller firm will fire you outright. Within the Fortune 100, they'll place you on a Performance Improvement Plan or something analogous, with additional restrictions and actions required. Fail to adhere to that, and you're fired as well.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Eh? When a bad performance review costs you a large bonus, or the annual salary boost that other employees receive, that's negative reinforcement. And your basic premise is at fault -- this is far from the worst consequence of such a review. A smaller firm will fire you outright. Within the Fortune 100, they'll place you on a Performance Improvement Plan or something analogous, with additional restrictions and actions required. Fail to adhere to that, and you're fired as well.
You're now contradicting yourself.

You equated the carrot with paying people not to assault, rape, and murder, and now you've fallen back to saying "losing out on a bonus."

Move the goalposts much?

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
You're now contradicting yourself.

You equated the carrot with paying people not to assault, rape, and murder, and now you've fallen back to saying "losing out on a bonus."

Move the goalposts much?
You're confused. I refuted that claim that negative reinforcement is abhorrent with the example of a hypothetical society in which criminals weren't punished, and non-criminals were instead rewarded. When you countered with the claim that businesses don't use negative reinforcement in employee relations, I showed otherwise. Does that clear it up?

In any case, I'm done. The conversation has become jejune.

Status
Not open for further replies.