[SOLVED] TUF B450M Pro question

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
Im planning to upgrade from x370 to the above mentioned mobo. Now my question is that it has two m.2 ports. Will using both of them with NVME ssd's divide the lanes between the two? I was planning to also move from my current NVME drive to a bigger one and using the old one to still store some games. Will they both work at x16 or will the lane be divided into two x8 lanes??

Solution
Titan is awesome with the specs.

The first M.2 drive will run as NVME PCIE 3.0 x 4, supporting full speed (up to 32 Gbps depending on the SSD).

The second M.2 is SATA only and most likely disables 1/2 SATA ports on the mainboard controller since they are shared with the M.2 slot. You will only get about 6Gbps max off an SSD connected to this slot whether or not it supports NVME protocol.

So to answer your question, yes they will work, but at unequal speeds, and the one connected through the SATA M.2 has to work through the onboard controller (as opposed to direct access to the CPU/memory through NVME), so there is that tax to pay as well.

Edit: Corrected the throughput rates

rgd1101

Don't
3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/ 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*1
AMD Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode)*1
3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/ 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)
Support Raid 0, 1, 10
AMD B450 chipset :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 2 mode)*2

one is from the cpu. the other from chipset

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Titan is awesome with the specs.

The first M.2 drive will run as NVME PCIE 3.0 x 4, supporting full speed (up to 32 Gbps depending on the SSD).

The second M.2 is SATA only and most likely disables 1/2 SATA ports on the mainboard controller since they are shared with the M.2 slot. You will only get about 6Gbps max off an SSD connected to this slot whether or not it supports NVME protocol.

So to answer your question, yes they will work, but at unequal speeds, and the one connected through the SATA M.2 has to work through the onboard controller (as opposed to direct access to the CPU/memory through NVME), so there is that tax to pay as well.

Edit: Corrected the throughput rates

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution
Im planning to upgrade from x370 to the above mentioned mobo. Now my question is that it has two m.2 ports. Will using both of them with NVME ssd's divide the lanes between the two? I was planning to also move from my current NVME drive to a bigger one and using the old one to still store some games. Will they both work at x16 or will the lane be divided into two x8 lanes??
What X370 motherboard do you have? and what is compelling you to the upgrade?

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
Hah! so....well I would say an X370 Prime Pro is really a pretty good motherboard and would work great with most any ryzen 3000 CPU (after updating BIOS) if that was the reason for the upgrade. But moving to an mATX form factor...well, that's different!

Yeah. I would have easily kept this motherboard if it wasnt for me just wanting a small cube case compared to the one i have now. The one i'll get just measures 315mm but the one i have now stands tall at 482mm lol also the new case i found has better support for multiple HDD and SSD which i can put in 4 of each into the new case (not that i can use all of it as the new mobo only has 4 sata slots lol) but at least i have good storage expansion solution.