Question TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II - No Bootable Device Found

Sk1nx

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Hello guys,

I just built a new PC and I am able to get into bios without any issue but whenever I insert flashdrive with windows it says that no bootable devices were found. It cant detect my M.2 NVMe SSD either.

I used official Microsoft tool to download win10 to flashdrive so that shouldnt be an issue.

I enabled CSM in the bios and tried all combinations (UEFI / legacy / auto) but nothing seems to help. MOBO has the first release of bios, version 0303 (https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...bios/?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS-WIFI-II) and I am wondering if update of bios could help? Any help is appreciated.

System specs:
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II
Corsair RM850W White (2021)
NEO Cube 2 Infinity Mirror White case
Procesor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2000 GB
Corsair 32 GB KIT DDR4 3600 MHz CL18 Vengeance RGB PRO

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
I used official Microsoft tool to download win10 to flashdrive so that shouldnt be an issue
Did you just slap the ISO onto the drive or did you have Windows Media Creation Tools fabricate the installer for your on the drive? Please be wary that you'll need an 8GBor larger drive.

As for the BIOS question, always make sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version prior to installing the OS, regardless of what OS it may be. I'd gradually work my way up to the latest as opposed to jumping to the latest version, to be on the safe side.

Sk1nx

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
I used official Microsoft tool to download win10 to flashdrive so that shouldnt be an issue
Did you just slap the ISO onto the drive or did you have Windows Media Creation Tools fabricate the installer for your on the drive? Please be wary that you'll need an 8GBor larger drive.

As for the BIOS question, always make sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version prior to installing the OS, regardless of what OS it may be. I'd gradually work my way up to the latest as opposed to jumping to the latest version, to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the reply. I am sorry that I didnt make it clear. I used the Windows Media Creation Tools and flashdrive is 16GB. I double-checked file system of the flashdrive and it is FAT 32.
I will do the BIOS update tomorrow but I am not sure whether this could have impact on detection of flashdrive or not.

Sk1nx

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
You could do one other thing, try and work with another pen drive and see if you make a breakthrough without the BIOS update.

I will definitely try that but what was concerning me is that M.2 SSD is not showing either. Thats why I was hesitant with trying another flashdrive. Also Is it recommended to update BIOS in this case? It seems that mobo detects my CPU without issue so I am not sure if there are any benefits to it.

Lutfij

Titan
Do you have any other storage drives hooked up to your SATA ports on the motherboard? Move that to M.2_1 and see if the drive shows up in BIOS. You have the minimum BIOS version necessary for the processor you're working. I suggest updating BIOS when a component is either missing from the platform/shows up wrong or that the platform is unstable.

Reactions: Sk1nx

Sk1nx

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Do you have any other storage drives hooked up to your SATA ports on the motherboard? Move that to M.2_1 and see if the drive shows up in BIOS. You have the minimum BIOS version necessary for the processor you're working. I suggest updating BIOS when a component is either missing from the platform/shows up wrong or that the platform is unstable.

I only have this 2TB M.2 SSD. I am going to move it to M.2_1 socket and also I am gonna try another flashdrive tomorrow. Thank you!

zx128k

Reputable
Thanks for the reply. I am sorry that I didnt make it clear. I used the Windows Media Creation Tools and flashdrive is 16GB. I double-checked file system of the flashdrive and it is FAT 32.
I will do the BIOS update tomorrow but I am not sure whether this could have impact on detection of flashdrive or not.

I tried that will one of my laptops and for whatever reason it would never boot from the flashdrive. Even so it would setup Windows on the laptops SSD form the DVD-ROM drive without an issue. USB drive was most likely not bootable (see Method 1 to check). UEFI/EFI failed, you have FAT32 and disabling Secure Boot and enabling lagecy boot failed to work.

Reactions: Sk1nx

Sk1nx

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Hello everyone,

So 2 things:

1. I tried to change boot option from UEFI to legacy (again) and this time it detected my flash drive. I am suspecting that it is due to the fact that I used different USB port on MoBo.
  2. My M.2 SSD was still not being displayed by MoBo so I tried to disconnect it and reconnect it back to MoBo (same port). It was visible in BIOS afterwards.

I successfully installed Windows and I am hoping that there will not be any instabilities.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Reactions: zx128k