[SOLVED] TUF Gaming X570 M2 SSD Not recognised

dub_de

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
Hi,

I have the TUF Gaming X570 Plus Wifi MB and on it there are 2 M2 slots: #1 without heat shield and #2 with heat shield. I also have 2 Sabrent rockets installed in both.

I have managed to install windows but it's only recognising the SSD in slot 2. In the bios it sometimes shows both, other times it does not. In disk management this is the same scenario. If it does show there then it won't let me format anyway.

I also have a 2tb hdd which is working fine.

I have cleared CMOS by removing the battery from the board, one thing I want to do is update the BIOS but I don't seem to be able to. When I put the new BIOS on a USB stick and try to run it through the EZ installer it says the file type is not recognised. When I try through internet it says I'm not connected - I am - as I'm typing this here!

I'm struggling here if anyone could help.

**Edit - I know the SSD isn't the issue as I've had in in an external case working fine

Few details:

R7 3700x
TUF Gaming X570 + wifi MB
Gigabyte 2070 super gaming oc
2 X - 1tb sabrent rocket 2280 SSD
1 X - 2 tb HDD

Last edited:
Solution
RAW with 1MB unallocated sounds dead, if you can't erase via the SSD's secure-erase utility and format - then maybe ESD damage occurred

BIOS is now updated and I'm still having the same issue. (I redownloaded bios and used the MB USB slots).

In terms of the SSD in slot 1 being seen - it seems to show up in BIOS, and shows up in Windows.

After a restart the disk shows up as RAW with a 1mb unallocated. If I try to format it doesn't work.

Then it shows up in disk management as not initilialised.

Next step to swap out the drives?
Hi,

I have the TUF Gaming X570 Plus Wifi MB and on it there are 2 M2 slots: #1 without heat shield and #2 with heat shield. I also have 2 Sabrent rockets installed in both.

I have managed to install windows but it's only recognising the SSD in slot 2. In the bios it sometimes shows both, other times it does not. In disk management this is the same scenario. If it does show there then it won't let me format anyway.

I have cleared CMOS by removing the battery from the board, one thing I want to do is update the BIOS but I don't seem to be able to. When I put the new BIOS on a USB stick and try to run it through the EZ installer it says the file type is not recognised. When I try through internet it says I'm not connected - I am - as I'm typing this here!

Few details:

R7 3700x
Gigabyte 270 super gaming oc
1 X - 2 tb HDD
Well, 1 slot is PCIE 4 and 1 slot is PCIE 3. This means one drive will not operate at its full speed, it will be limited to PcIE 3 speeds.

There was a thread someone else started about having an issue with the Sabrent working on PCIE3. I would check for a specific driver.

dub_de

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
Well, 1 slot is PCIE 4 and 1 slot is PCIE 3. This means one drive will not operate at its full speed, it will be limited to PcIE 3 speeds.

There was a thread someone else started about having an issue with the Sabrent working on PCIE3. I would check for a specific driver.

Both drives are PCIE 3 so there should be no issue there?

well try updating the bios first, you may want to check the format of the USB stick.
May need FAT32 for the bios update to work. Others are fine with NTFS.

Hi,

**Edit - I know the SSD isn't the issue as I've had in in an external case working fine

Few details:

R7 3700x
Gigabyte 2070 super gaming oc
1 X - 2 tb HDD

dub_de

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
ok I've tried changing the usb drive to Fat32 and also NTFS but either way the BIOS says that the file is not a proper BIOS (it's a .cap file which I assume is correct).

Why does it say there's not internet connection in the BIOS? DCHP isn't working - do I have to be plugged in rather than wireless?

Last edited:

dub_de

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
BIOS is now updated and I'm still having the same issue. (I redownloaded bios and used the MB USB slots).

In terms of the SSD in slot 1 being seen - it seems to show up in BIOS, and shows up in Windows.

After a restart the disk shows up as RAW with a 1mb unallocated. If I try to format it doesn't work.

Last edited:

dub_de

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
Sorry for the message spam.

So I have swapped the SSD with the windows install into Slot 1 and removed the other SSD and it boots up fine. So I assume that it's the SSD that is at fault?

Which is weird as it does actually work in an external case and plugged into the USB.

Could there be some conflict somewhere with using 2 drives or would you suggest i send it back and get a new one?

Sorry for the message spam.

So I have swapped the SSD with the windows install into Slot 1 and removed the other SSD and it boots up fine. So I assume that it's the SSD that is at fault?

Which is weird as it does actually work in an external case and plugged into the USB.

Could there be some conflict somewhere with using 2 drives or would you suggest i send it back and get a new one?
Maybe there is an issue since you used it with usb first? Driver issue? Have you tried formatting the drive via usb then trying it in the m.2 slot?

RAW with 1MB unallocated sounds dead, if you can't erase via the SSD's secure-erase utility and format - then maybe ESD damage occurred

Solution

dub_de

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
I've now tried the SSD in both M2 slots on the drive. The SSD with windows works fine in both slots. The other SSD shows up in both slots as RAW 1MB unallocated, when placed into an external M2 bay the SSD shows up fine.

So the board doesn't like the SSD or what?

I'm unsure as to what to do next as the SSD isn't broken, it just doesn't want to work in the board.

Screenshots:

SSD in board
View: https://imgur.com/xIoZbO1

SSD in external enclosure
View: https://imgur.com/OAcmvWI

dub_de

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
How did you format it originally?

Nvme Raid is not turned on in your Bios is it?

If there's no data on it, have your tried doing a diskpart clean on it while it's in the board? Reboot before you try formatting it after the Clean.

Originally I put the SSD into slot 1 but the MB didn't recognise it. So then I put it into an external USB enclosure and formatted it that way.

Diskpart won't even find the drive so couldn't do that.

I don't believe I have RAID switched on no (I can confirm this later).

I've got another SSD being delivered today. I will try this in the slot and if that doesn't work then there is either:
  • a setting which is wrong
  • a conflict somewhere with the ports I'm using (I'm using sata port 5 for the HDD)
  • the MB only supports M2 RAID (but still doesn't recognise the drive)
  • the MB is broken

dub_de

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
I've done a bit more research and think this may have to do with not having enough PCIe Lanes.

I'm using a Ryzen 7 3700x = 24 PCIe Lanes

Chipset - 4 lanes
1 x nvme SSD - 4 lanes
GPU (2070 super) - 16 lanes

= not enough lanes for the additional nvme SSD?

So maybe I need a 2.5 SSD instead

Last edited:

dub_de

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
I don’t think that’s the issue. I’m running two NVMe drives on my Asus TUF. I did have to format the second drive for it to be recognized in Windows. Not running Raid.

On the odd time that it actually shows up I can't format it. Either through Disk Management or Diskpart though - it only works through USB.

It's frustrating!