Tuning Cool'n'Quiet: Maximize Power And Performance, Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrgnRebrn

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Nice article! I'm curious to know if the "e" CPUs can be affected in the same way, such as the Phenom II X3 705e. I have chosen this CPU for a HTPC build because of it's already low 65W TDP. Also, what are the effect to power usage when using ACC features & enabling dormant cores?

G

Very good article! Undervolting it's a great tweak to make and most of the people don't even know that it is possible as well as overvolting, getting a power efficient processor for no money! Thanks tom's for caring about this matter.

autoimmune

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Inf3rnal[/nom]I'd like to see same article about Intel i5/i7 power setting tweaking.[/citation] O my GOD i bet the writers at Toms Hardware had not thought of that, and are not currently in the process of writing that article!

G

i love you guys. i have just the system that i am using as HTPC. i was wondering about ways to reduce the power usage as i dont use it for hardcore gaming or any other cpu intensive jobs. all i use it for watching blurays and tv and other movies and songs. i have an ASROCK 790gxh 128M mobo. and 1thlon x2 7750 kuma, that i bought from newegg for $59 (darn steal for the performance it gives. the machine has almost zero latency for any operation)

Great article. I've been undervolting my Athlon 64 x2 in my laptop with K10stat for the past few months. The tx2500 models get hot. On load I went from a maximum of 90C to a maximum of 75-80C. Haha. no longer worried. Plus my fan doesn't go on maximum unless under full load anymore.

mende21

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
It's great to see an in-depth article about k10stat. I discovered that program a couple of months ago and use it to underclock and overclock my 955. I hated disabling cool n quiet to overclock my processor and k10stat works great. I have it set to underclock to 400mhz at idle and overclock to 3.8ghz under load. After reading this, I think I can lower the voltages a little.

fsjis1

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
It may be that AMD is making a purely dual core kuma and I am not aware of it, but I am fairly certain that the kuma series is actually a "phenom I" with two cores disabled, hence the L3 cache. I just did a google search and found people who have unlocked the extra cores on the athlon X2 7750 kuma. Nice article by the way I have been thinking about doing something like this to my PC's.

arnawa_widagda

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
First of all, thanks for all the comments and feedback.

All Cool'n'Quiet 2.0 processors should work with K10Stat, so you should be able to use K10Stat with the Energy Efficient series.

For those unfamiliar with K10Stat, here are some additional switches/options (insert these via the properties menu of your K10Stat shortcut).

-lp:# - load profile# and write to MSR (activates a certain profile).
-nw - Start K10stat with NoWindow (don't display window).
-ClkCtrl:#(0-4) - Enable Clock Control (activates clock/core control).
0:No Control
1:UnGanged.
2:Ganged (Load of Highest core).
3:Ganged (Average load of all cores).
4:Ganged (Load of Lowest core).
-StayOnTray - puts K10Stat on the system tray. Use this option with “-nw” to keep K10Stat running. Very useful if you use sleep/hibernate.

To those interested in Core i7/Core i5, a similar article is in the pipeline. We wanted to include the 32 nm refresh too, in addition to Core2Duo and Core2Quads, so we have to wait until (final) samples are out.

About performance, performance differences and actual power consumption will be in the 2nd part - you'll see it soon. You might be (pleasantly) surprised.

Thanks. Off to some more GPGPU testing.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
can somebody tell me why my C'n'Q no longer functions? Go to my profile and look for the forum thread i started, it's all explained there.

G

I'm writing this on a 7750 (stepping 3) with a Foxconn A7GM-S motherboard, and CPU-Z reports 1.024V with Cool & Quiet on, and 1.312V at full speed. I'm not sure why you are observing different behavior.

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Nice article.. but it is a verrrrrrry lonnnnnnnnnnnng read.... hope you guys can simplify the article a bit... but nice research indeed... xD.. i'm just one of those lazy people that have a hard time reading thousands of words per page.. hehe...

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Nice article.. but it is a verrrrrrry lonnnnnnnnnnnng read.... hope you guys can simplify the article a bit... but nice research indeed... xD.. i'm just one of those lazy people that have a hard time reading thousands of words per page.. hehe...

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009

mende21

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
After some more tweaking I was able to lower my 955 to 400mhz at 0.7v while idling. I can't reach 0.6v as in this article but at least I have it clocked lower. I also lowered the northbridge voltage a little in the slower p states. 3.8ghz still needs 1.45v core. Thanks again for the write up.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Why does the phenom 710's nb speed is at 1600mhz max? And why is the voltage at 1.25v? I have that cpu and the mobo (gigabyte 790fxt-ud5p) identified the stock voltage as 1.325.

Status
Not open for further replies.