Turbine's LOTRO Goes Free This Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
This is great news for WoW burnouts this tides the cravings for an MMO over until the next Gen MMOs come out in 2011.

At one point during beta for LotRO i thought if i wasn't so involved and had so much into WoW i would have played LotRO. i think i leveled to 35 using the free weekends they offered like every other month.

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
First, let me say that I think it's fair to purchase a MMO game and then pay a monthly subscription fee. And if that company wants me to continue subscribing to that MMO, they had better keep me interested with no additional fees. I wouldn't subscribe to a magazine if I got the same issue every month. And for those that think the subscription fee is used to cover server costs and customer support, think again. I have it on good authority (i.e. a Blizzard employee) that only $2-3 is used to cover costs. The rest is pure profit.

That being said, I love the model set forth by Mythic's Warhammer Online. The game is free to download and all you have to pay is a monthly subscription fee. Unfortunately for me, I don't like the game. Which came as a surprise to me because some of my favorite moments from WoW was PvP combat and Warhammer is PvP oriented.

I don't care for the model used by LOTRO or DDO. When does it stop? On a personal note, I've tried both games and I don't like either. And this is coming from a LOTR fan and D&D player.

matm347

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Sounds good to me! I've never payed monthly for a game and won't until they get realistic in pricing. Do the math, servers don't need the millions of $ each month they are raking in.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
[citation][nom]knightmike[/nom]First, let me say that I think it's fair to purchase a MMO game and then pay a monthly subscription fee. And if that company wants me to continue subscribing to that MMO, they had better keep me interested with no additional fees. I wouldn't subscribe to a magazine if I got the same issue every month. And for those that think the subscription fee is used to cover server costs and customer support, think again. I have it on good authority (i.e. a Blizzard employee) that only $2-3 is used to cover costs. The rest is pure profit.That being said, I love the model set forth by Mythic's Warhammer Online. The game is free to download and all you have to pay is a monthly subscription fee. Unfortunately for me, I don't like the game. Which came as a surprise to me because some of my favorite moments from WoW was PvP combat and Warhammer is PvP oriented.I don't care for the model used by LOTRO or DDO. When does it stop? On a personal note, I've tried both games and I don't like either. And this is coming from a LOTR fan and D&D player.[/citation]

You're kidding right? I mean, a F2P game benefits the consumer far more than a sub model. If a company wants to keep people paying for items, expansions etc. then they better make it worth it.

Take MW2 for example, I know a whole heck of a lot of people who didn't buy the $15 addon simply because it wasn't worth it, and IW/Activision would have made more money (ontop of the ****load they already made) if they had have made it worth the money.

Someone who doesn't have a lot of money, or doesn't play all that often never has to pay a cent for the game - I can't possibly understand why you would disagree with this model?

Not to mention theres a lot more people playing starup comanies games since they started going F2P, leading to more competition, which again is better for the consumer.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I quit playing after a year when major mechanics updates turned LoTRO into a gear-centric e-peen WoW clone. Maybe it's time to check it out again.

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]HibyPrime[/nom]You're kidding right? I mean, a F2P game benefits the consumer far more than a sub model. If a company wants to keep people paying for items, expansions etc. then they better make it worth it.[/citation]Oh, they'll make it worth it. One week they will have a +1 sword that everybody will want. The next week, they will sell a +2 sword...

Xatos

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
As a LOTRO player, this could end up working out pretty well. LOTRO is a fantastic, let alone beautiful game which is often overlooked.

zmbcat

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I envy people who can get into mmorpgs...i wish i had some game to waste boring evenings on, but mmorpgs just seem 0% fun, eh.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
[citation][nom]knightmike[/nom]Oh, they'll make it worth it. One week they will have a +1 sword that everybody will want. The next week, they will sell a +2 sword...[/citation]

I said get people to keep paying, not pay for a month or two then quit :p

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]knightmike[/nom]First, let me say that I think it's fair to purchase a MMO game and then pay a monthly subscription fee. And if that company wants me to continue subscribing to that MMO, they had better keep me interested with no additional fees. I wouldn't subscribe to a magazine if I got the same issue every month. And for those that think the subscription fee is used to cover server costs and customer support, think again. I have it on good authority (i.e. a Blizzard employee) that only $2-3 is used to cover costs. The rest is pure profit.That being said, I love the model set forth by Mythic's Warhammer Online. The game is free to download and all you have to pay is a monthly subscription fee. Unfortunately for me, I don't like the game. Which came as a surprise to me because some of my favorite moments from WoW was PvP combat and Warhammer is PvP oriented.I don't care for the model used by LOTRO or DDO. When does it stop? On a personal note, I've tried both games and I don't like either. And this is coming from a LOTR fan and D&D player.[/citation]

Well that 2-3$ to cover costs seems to make sense. I just wonder why star trek online costs 15$ a month!

krzyinuyasha

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
[citation][nom]yannifb[/nom]Well that 2-3$ to cover costs seems to make sense. I just wonder why star trek online costs 15$ a month![/citation]

The $2-$3 may cover server costs but you gotta figure in development costs for the constant updates MMO games have. I am one who hasn't gotten into the MMO cause of the monthly cost on top of the initial $50-$70 price tag on the games. I agree $15 a month is over kill when you consider the initial game price along with how many people are paying each month to play. Now you make it around $5-$6 a month that covers not only server but update development costs I would be more willing to play. That and drop the level grind scheme just to keep people paying a monthly fee over long periods of time just to finish the story line.

Status
Not open for further replies.