Question Turbo Boost on i9-10900K when it's doing nothing ?

Mar 5, 2023
Can someone explain me, what's the point of Turbo Boosting to 5.1GHz or 5.3 (on 2 cores) when it's doing nothing ?

Like while monitoring clock speed on HWinfo, with literally nothing run in background, the CPU is boosting itself to 5.1ghz, but only when I move a mouse CPU is instantly dropping to 4.9ghz..

What's the point of 5.1 at idle ? It will doing nothing faster ? 🙈

Or maybe there is some setting in bios to set 5.1 as a boost in other scenarios than only idle ?

Fan fact (don't know if meaningful) while boosting to 5.1 All cores, the voltage is 1.295V. That means I can do 5.1Ghz on all cores with 1.295 ?

Like while monitoring clock speed on HWinfo, with literally nothing run in background,
So you are doing something...
Or maybe there is some setting in bios to set 5.1 as a boost in other scenarios than only idle ?
If you have multi core enhancement (MCE) enabled it will boost all cores instead of just one or two.

Also idle doesn't mean that windows isn't doing anything in the background that could cause a short burst.
If it is not constantly at boost clocks it means there is something running that causes enough of a workload to trigger the boost.

Reactions: Inver_ShaRingan
@Inver_ShaRingan
When the low power C states are enabled and being used, whether your Intel CPU runs fast or slow when it is idle makes very little real world difference to power consumption or idle temperatures. It is best to let the CPU manage itself and not get too worried when the MHz are high. When a core enters C7, it is disconnected from the internal clock so it is sitting dormant at 0 MHz. Watching C state activity is more important than watching MHz when a CPU is idle.

Use the Windows Balanced power plan if you like seeing a slower running CPU when lightly loaded.

IhCzWUp.png

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
you might have a better luck looking at the “Effective Core Clock” as the “Core Clock” disregards all C states, so like previously mentioned, even if a core is at C7 and 0MHz you can still see it at 5GHz.

The only time the Core Clock reports correct numbers is when your C state residency is 0% (i.e no power saving)