turbulence airflow and drag

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

"kony" wrote about turbulence:
> ....after meeting obstructions and
> cooling first component in path of air, it is already a reduced
> efficiency at cooling rest of system. Case holes are not creating
> a high turbulence, relatively speaking. You keep ignoring this
> but it doesn't change by omission. Before flow has reached
> end of system, it is a non-turbulent, slow moving, overheated
> stream... inferior in cooling.

Here you say flow becomes non-turbulent as it passes thru
the case.

> You keep getting confused that a theory of "laminar" flow is
> only a model, that once this flow enters a case and meets
> temp differentials, obstructions, it is no longer so laminar...
> turbulence is created just as it was in your theory, but
> created AFTER air enters case rather than at the entry point
> where the flow rate would be reduced most drastically.

Here you say flow becomes turbulent as it passes thru
the case.

Nice if it were both ways. But which is it?

> > For a given degree of turbulence,
> > a higher flow rate WILL increase heat transfer.
> > For a given flow rate, highter turbulence will
> > increase heat transfer.
>
> Yes, but it's NOT a "given" flow rate, the flow rate will always be
> lowered by the creation of the turbulence and the hole design in general.

You don't understand the concept of allowing only one variable
to change at a time. That is the basis of experimental research.
If more than one variable is allowed to vary, you can't possibly
know what the effect of each variable is. To determine the
individual effects of flow rate and turbulence on heat transfer,
you can't allow both flow rate and turbulence to vary simultaneously.
That is fundamental to any kind of lab work.

> > ...for a given degree of turbulence,
> > higher flow rate gives higher rate of heat transfer.
> > But if you keep the flow rate constant, more
> > turbulence would do the same thing....
>
> Flow rate will not remain constant, we already covered that.
> There are several variables and you only consider one, when
> it's already established that other variables are as, or more,
> significant.

To repeat: In scientific experiment (i.e. emperical research),
one must strive to keep all variables constant and to just vary
the parameter of interest. Otherwise, one cannot know the
influence of just that parameter. To study just the effect of flow
rate on heat transfer, one must vary the flow rate while keeping
turbulence constant. To study just the effect of turbulence on
heat transfer, one must vary the turbulence while keeping the
flow rate constant. Doing so is quite difficult, and that is why
flow rate, which is easy to measure, has become the focus of
amateur cooling designers such as yourself. Turbulence, on the
other hand, is hard to measure, and only true scientists attempt
to investigate its effects. Amateurs, on the other hand, just choose
to ignore it and deny its effects. But when educated engineers
apply the results of the true scientists in their cooling designs, e.g.
Dell, HP, Gateway, etc., they imbue the incoming air with turbulence.
And the cheapest way to do that is NOT with FANS blowing into
the case - it's with HOLES punched in the sheet metal of the case.

> Unfortunately you can't just claim a heat transfer without considering the
> rate at which that heat is removed from the chassis. Again, you want to
> apply a simple concept to an entire system, ignoring all variables that
> don't suit your argument.
>
> Further, this "drag" is going to be cooling the case holes themselves... I
> dont' recall ever hearing of anyone with a case-hole overheating problem.
> It is detrimental to create drag at a point in the system that doesn't do
> anything useful in itself, at that drag point.

The affect of turbulence on the temperature of the case holes
is irrelevant.

> It does matter where the turbulence comes from, because the entry point
> into the system is where the flow rate is dropping.

Unless you are creating or destroying matter somewhere in
the case, the time-averaged flow rate remains the same
throughout the case, i.e. air that comes in is air that goes out.
The rate of flow does not drop at the entry point.

> Again you try to claim turbulence helps cooling while ignoring
> that your theory drasitcally lowers flow rate,
> [...]
> and ignoring that this turbulence created at front of case
> is not going to persist, will be supplanted by other
> turbulence created inside the case, but at a lower rate
> because your theory reduced the overall flow rate.

Why do you believe that turbulence will dissipate
in the time that the air transits the case?

> You are not getting a full degreee of turbulence. You are
> creating a trival amount of turbulence that subsides,
> while lowering flow rate, which lowers turbulence created
> later inside the chassis. Holes are cheap, and they "can"
> be effective, but not because they're designed to create
> turbulence, rather to spread airflow.

On what do you base your theory that turbulence subsides
in the few seconds that it takes air to transit the case?

> You mentioned a smoke ring in prior replies. Certainly it's
> turbulent, but it travels in a single path, minimally effecting
> air around it. Compare it to smoke propelled with same
> amount of energy but not in a smoke ring, so it is necessarily
> at higher velocity or pressure... the smoke moves out and
> reaches multiple areas, disturbing more surrounding
> area, and in a chassis, would reduce dead spots.

That's why sharp-edged holes are used - they produce
vortices, which are long-lasting turbulence structures,
just as smoke rings are toroidal vortices and long-lasting.

> You came up with a concept that you can't prove, because
> you can't test it. You can't test it because the theory only
> applies in limited, dissimilar situations.

Tell it to the scientists who report their studies of the effects
of turbulence on heat transfer, and tell it to the engineers
who use those principle in designing heat exchange systems.
Because you yourself cannot measure turbulence and therefore
cannot know its effects is no reason to deny its value and function.

*TimDaniels*

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:01:57 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
<TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

>"kony" wrote about turbulence:
>> ....after meeting obstructions and
>> cooling first component in path of air, it is already a reduced
>> efficiency at cooling rest of system. Case holes are not creating
>> a high turbulence, relatively speaking. You keep ignoring this
>> but it doesn't change by omission. Before flow has reached
>> end of system, it is a non-turbulent, slow moving, overheated
>> stream... inferior in cooling.
>

> Here you say flow becomes non-turbulent as it passes thru
> the case.

Correct.

>> You keep getting confused that a theory of "laminar" flow is
>> only a model, that once this flow enters a case and meets
>> temp differentials, obstructions, it is no longer so laminar...
>> turbulence is created just as it was in your theory, but
>> created AFTER air enters case rather than at the entry point
>> where the flow rate would be reduced most drastically.
>

> Here you say flow becomes turbulent as it passes thru
> the case.

Correct again.

> Nice if it were both ways. But which is it?

It is both ways. Created turbulence disperses soon after being created.
Case hole turbulence is soon ineffective, past the case wall, while
airflow hitting OTHER things in the case, air that started out
non-turbulent, will become turbulent, but just as the air from the case
holes, soon enough the turbulence will diminish. The key is to have the
(thing) being cooled, creating the turbulence.

>> > For a given degree of turbulence,
>> > a higher flow rate WILL increase heat transfer.
>> > For a given flow rate, highter turbulence will
>> > increase heat transfer.
>>
>> Yes, but it's NOT a "given" flow rate, the flow rate will always be
>> lowered by the creation of the turbulence and the hole design in general.
>

> You don't understand the concept of allowing only one variable
> to change at a time. That is the basis of experimental research.

Of course i do, but, that only holds up in a lab test, not in application,
which is what you extended your theory to be as implemented.

> If more than one variable is allowed to vary, you can't possibly
> know what the effect of each variable is. To determine the
> individual effects of flow rate and turbulence on heat transfer,
> you can't allow both flow rate and turbulence to vary simultaneously.
> That is fundamental to any kind of lab work.

Yet this is exactly what you're claiming is going to improve airflow. No
matter how you argue it, IF turbulence is created at the case intake
holes, it is reducing flow rate.

>> > ...for a given degree of turbulence,
>> > higher flow rate gives higher rate of heat transfer.
>> > But if you keep the flow rate constant, more
>> > turbulence would do the same thing....
>>
>> Flow rate will not remain constant, we already covered that.
>> There are several variables and you only consider one, when
>> it's already established that other variables are as, or more,
>> significant.
>

> To repeat: In scientific experiment (i.e. emperical research),
> one must strive to keep all variables constant and to just vary
> the parameter of interest.

Why are you repeating something that isn't relevant?
Why are we to consider an instance with no extra variables when clearly,
there are other variables in your case-hole theory? It's not really a
question, you were the one focusing on only one variable as if it's
beneficial to do so, while it's the opposite, meaningless to focus on only
one when others are changing.

> Otherwise, one cannot know the
> influence of just that parameter. To study just the effect of flow
> rate on heat transfer, one must vary the flow rate while keeping
> turbulence constant. To study just the effect of turbulence on
> heat transfer, one must vary the turbulence while keeping the
> flow rate constant. Doing so is quite difficult, and that is why
> flow rate, which is easy to measure, has become the focus of
> amateur cooling designers such as yourself.

You are the amateur here... you can't even fathom that two interdependent
variables must be considered together, let alone tested. If you had more
thought put into your theory before you sprung it on us, you would've
realized that and not had to try arguing a losing position.

> Turbulence, on the
> other hand, is hard to measure, and only true scientists attempt
> to investigate its effects. Amateurs, on the other hand, just choose
> to ignore it and deny its effects. But when educated engineers
> apply the results of the true scientists in their cooling designs, e.g.
> Dell, HP, Gateway, etc., they imbue the incoming air with turbulence.
> And the cheapest way to do that is NOT with FANS blowing into
> the case - it's with HOLES punched in the sheet metal of the case.

<Yawn>
No matter how many times you claim it, still wrong.
Hint: It'll be wrong next time, too.

> The affect of turbulence on the temperature of the case holes
> is irrelevant.

As is the effect of turbulence created by case holes, on other parts,
because it is manditory that flow rate drop when that turbulence is
created.

>> It does matter where the turbulence comes from, because the entry point
>> into the system is where the flow rate is dropping.
>

> Unless you are creating or destroying matter somewhere in
> the case, the time-averaged flow rate remains the same
> throughout the case, i.e. air that comes in is air that goes out.
> The rate of flow does not drop at the entry point.

Quite untrue.
An axial fan is not a fixed-CFM air mover, it will not exhaust as much air
when your intake is constricted or impeded by turbulence.. Welcome to
COOLING 101 !

>> Again you try to claim turbulence helps cooling while ignoring
>> that your theory drasitcally lowers flow rate,
>> [...]
>> and ignoring that this turbulence created at front of case
>> is not going to persist, will be supplanted by other
>> turbulence created inside the case, but at a lower rate
>> because your theory reduced the overall flow rate.
>

> Why do you believe that turbulence will dissipate
> in the time that the air transits the case?

Because it's a trivial amount of turbulence to begin with, and studies of
far more turbulence from fans show same.

Better question, what makes you think case hole turbulence would reach
anything BEYOND the holes? There's not a whole lot next to the holes
except maybe the first 1/6 of a HDD.

>> You are not getting a full degreee of turbulence. You are
>> creating a trival amount of turbulence that subsides,
>> while lowering flow rate, which lowers turbulence created
>> later inside the chassis. Holes are cheap, and they "can"
>> be effective, but not because they're designed to create
>> turbulence, rather to spread airflow.
>

> On what do you base your theory that turbulence subsides
> in the few seconds that it takes air to transit the case?

It's not seconds, it's distance, and that any further turbulence that is
created by airflow (regardless of the case holes) is reduced by reduction
in flow rate.

>> You mentioned a smoke ring in prior replies. Certainly it's
>> turbulent, but it travels in a single path, minimally effecting
>> air around it. Compare it to smoke propelled with same
>> amount of energy but not in a smoke ring, so it is necessarily
>> at higher velocity or pressure... the smoke moves out and
>> reaches multiple areas, disturbing more surrounding
>> area, and in a chassis, would reduce dead spots.
>

> That's why sharp-edged holes are used - they produce
> vortices, which are long-lasting turbulence structures,
> just as smoke rings are toroidal vortices and long-lasting.

And it completely escaped you that these travel straight, with minimal
impact on surrounding air, exactly the opposite of effective case cooling.

> Tell it to the scientists who report their studies of the effects
> of turbulence on heat transfer, and tell it to the engineers
> who use those principle in designing heat exchange systems.
> Because you yourself cannot measure turbulence and therefore
> cannot know its effects is no reason to deny its value and function.

Sadly you still can't grasp more than one concept at a time.
I have stacks of OEM cases, that started out with these wonderous holes
you're so in love with. They're not suitable for modern system builds
because of the poor airflow. That is, until I mod the front to enlarge
it, do away with the holes. Result of the mod, according to you, is a
flow rate increase that doesn't matter, and reduction in turbulence, yet,
the temps go down... go figure!

Oh, BTW, since you clearly don't even have any experience modding OEM
cases to know if it makes a difference, you might want to refrain from
throwing around the word amateur. Amateurs jump to conclusions like you
did, without considering all the facts, though lack of research and lack
of consulting others to be sure they have all the facts before drawing a
conclusion.

OEMs have vent holes because they don't need anything more. It is well
known to some (but apparently not you) that OEM systems do not cool as
well as many other configurations, merely that "some" run quieter. Then
again, quiet isn't assumed either, 3 different Dell models can have quite
different noise levels. The primary difference between OEMs and others is
the thermometer, that they can measure ambient temp, not towards the end
of lowest possible, but maintaining a service life exceeding that expected
or waranteed, at the lowest COST possible. What costs the least? Using
same general design used for several years, with minimal parts, and no
particular, elaborate changes for vent-hole-turbulence daydreamers,
because they don't NEED to do so.

"kony" wrote:
> Created turbulence disperses soon after being created.
> Case hole turbulence is soon ineffective, past the case wall,

This is the heart of your misunderstanding - the molasses
theory of fluid flow. You believe that turbulence disappears
right after it is created. At first you denied the value of
turbulence, now you deny it's persistence.

*TimDaniels*

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:36:06 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
<TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

>"kony" wrote:
>> Created turbulence disperses soon after being created.
>> Case hole turbulence is soon ineffective, past the case wall,
>

> This is the heart of your misunderstanding - the molasses
> theory of fluid flow. You believe that turbulence disappears
> right after it is created. At first you denied the value of
> turbulence, now you deny it's persistence.
>
>*TimDaniels*

I never denied that in "some" instances, turbulent flow causes more heat,
thermal energy absorption. That is a very simple concept, that when
applied toward a specific purpose, MUST be weighted against all other
factors. Simply knowing that turbulence in a fixed model, with no other
variables, aids in cooling, does not mean that in a real-world
implementation, the goal should be creation of turbulence without regard
to what effect that [creation of turbulence) has on the other variables.

In this particular instance, the holes in front of a PC case, turbulence
is not created at the source of the heat, but rather at the entry point in
the system, which most signficantly reduces flow rate. Any model
considering the effect of turbulence must be arranged similarly, with
exahust fan, lower pressure area containing heat source, and turbulent
restriction at the intake. WIthout that specific model there cannot be
enough similarity to draw a conclusion about the effect in a PC case.

I do deny the persistance of turbulence. That cup of coffee you stirred a
few days ago, if you hadn't drank it, would it still be spinning around
today? Of course not. The smoke ring example you used, would that not
show the ring breaking apart when it came upon a hard drive, or any other
obstacle whether it be a component or other turbulent air stream?

Bottom line is that you proposed this theory, but have no evidence that
it applies to case cooling. You ignore flow rate when there are specific
enginering specs for flow rates, thermal gradients, and effects of
pressure change on axial fans. Flow rate is also clearly demonstrated to
effect heat removal. You ignore one of the, if not THE most significant
factor then argue about a model. There is nothing productive about this
theory without specific parameters and testing, so I now leave these
turbulent threads behind.

"kony" wrote and wrote and wrote:
> Bottom line is that you proposed this theory,
> but have no evidence that it applies to case cooling.

This guy thinks it applies to case cooling:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips90/

> You ignore flow rate when there are specific
> enginering specs for flow rates, thermal gradients,
> and effects of pressure change on axial fans.

And none of those "specs" deny the effects
of turbulence. They simply ignore them
because they can't specify something that
they cannot measure and that they cannot
predict. Turbulence and its effects are too
complex, like predicting the weather a week
or month in advance. It's mostly cut-'n-try,
beginning with an educated guess, a process
affordable by the budgets of the big name
brands.

> Flow rate is also clearly demonstrated to
> effect heat removal. You ignore one of the,
> if not THE most significant factor then argue
> about a model.

Not at all. Flow rate influences the creation
and degree of turbulence. But it takes time
and distance to get going. What I have been
saying ALL ALONG is that turbulence makes
flow rate more effective, and the sooner
turbulence begins, the better. That is why a
case design that starts turbulence right at the
entry point to the case is superior to designs
that let turbulence develop from contact with
a series of non-aerodynamically shaped objects
in its path. Don't try to put words in my mouth
so as to make a case for a superfluous argument.

That Dell, Hewlwtt Packard, Gateway and the
other big names in PC design and manufacture
all seem to produce designs that "just happen" to
also produce a high degree of turbulence at their
air intakes AND that published research shows
that turbulence increases heat transfer would seem
to be a hint to the alert homebuilder that maybe
there is something there besides inadvertant flow
restriction. Maybe these big-budget design labs
actually WANT there to be turbulence when that
air flow hits its first objects - the hard drives and
the PCI cards.

*TimDaniels*

hey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004

While all you smart fellas argue the finer points of Laminar flow and
turbulence, I'll just make sure EVERYONE knows that what cools the
system best is surface are. You could have effectively NO airflow
and as long as you have enough surface area, you WILL cool. Thats
why you can find some nifty fanless systems online now. I think
CoolerMaster has a totally fanless case/ssytem- though it does use
heatpipes extensively.

==============

In article <k56dncXosabyhlHdRVn-vg@comcast.com>,
Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>"kony" wrote:
>> There is
>> definitely a way of predicting the path of turbulence, in simulations,
>> models, and the finished prototype. None of that has anything to do with
>> optimal hole size except in very space-constrained areas, otherwise the
>> parth and flow would dictate the number and placement of holes.
>

> Again, turbulence modelling challenges even the largest computing systems.
>From http://www.krellinst.org/csgf/mag/2003/practicum.cgi?id=301:
>
> "The unpredictable nature of turbulence has made its mathematical
> description challenging. Physicists believe that all the
> complexities of turbulent flows can be described by the celebrated
> Navier-Stokes equations, which were derived in the mid-1800s,
> and come directly from Isaac Newton's laws of motion. They
> describe fluid motion down to a microscopic scale. However, even
> today's most sophisticated computers aren't powerful enough to
> solve these equations for large-scale turbulent flows, and until
> they are, some engineers say turbulence remains an unsolved problem."
>
>From http://www.ae.ic.ac.uk/research/tfms/subject.html:
>
> "These techniques are collectively referred to as Computational
> Fluid Dynamics. Within this general area, some of the most
> challenging flows are those in which turbulence plays an
> important role - or, indeed, in which turbulence is the
> phenomenon of interest."
>
>From http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/chorin-turbulence.html:
>
> "BERKELEY, CA - For more than 30 years, Dr. Alexandre
> Chorin has worked to develop computational methods for solving
> problems in fluid mechanics, with the hope that they will eventually
> lead to an understanding of the most difficult problem of applied
> mathematics -- the problem of turbulence."
> "What makes the turbulence problem so compelling, in addition to
> its practical importance, Chorin says, is that the basic equations
> that describe turbulence are well known and simple, yet their solutions
> are incredibly complex and the computing power needed to find them
> transcends any imaginable computer."
>

>You get the idea.
>
>*TimDaniels*

Tim; All these quotes talk abut using computers to SOLVE turbulance
problems, not apply turbulance in the DESIGN of cooling computers. Did
I miss something ?

--
Al Dykes
-----------

In article <aaednaD8n_1IQlHdRVn-sQ@comcast.com>,
Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>"kony" wrote:
>> You need to step back and consider that we are not noobs,
>> do not need to be educated about the effects of turbulence.
>

> OK, I'm glad you finally accept that turbulence aids heat
> transfer between a surface and a passing fluid.
>

>> The EFFECT of that turbulence as created by (your case hole)
>> theory is another matter. [........]
>>
>> You claim turbulence from case holes is significant. [.........]
>> Does this turbulence persist, how quickly does it diminish with distance
>> from the holes? Would you actually have MORE turbulence with a less
>> restrictive intake, no sharp-edged holes, so more air flows in past
>> components at a higher rate, creating more turbulence inside the
>> chassis.... so having holes that create turbulence, results in LESS
>> turbulence.
>>
>> You have no proof that case holes have ANY positive effect. Your
>> theories are only one consideration among many. By ignoring the rest
>> of the (actually having NO) data, you cannot logically come to the
>> conclusion you claim.
>

> Do you have any data to prove the opposite - that sharp edged holes
> create only insignificant turbulence?
>
>*TimDaniels*

Lots of us don't accept the premise that more or less turbuence at the
exhaust holes has any effect, either way.

As a generality, less turbulence at a hole or thru a pipe increases
the rate of air flow, for a constant pressure drop.

The more air (cf/min) thru a case the closer the temp of the contents
of the case will be the air going in. Laminar or
turbulent is not a design issue.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

In article <k6SdnZk5Q9vN3lPdRVn-hQ@comcast.com>,
Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>"David Maynard" wrote:
>> Science don't work that way (neither does anything else
>> based on logic and reasoning). YOU proposed the 'theory'
>> (the term loosely applied) so it is up to YOU to 'prove' it
>> and not for someone else to disprove it.
>

> No, my theory is based on solid aerodynamics and
> thermodynamics that say that turbulence aids heat
> transfer and that fluid flow through an orifice in a thin
> plate produces turbulence. The logical conclusion is that
> fluid flow through an orifice in a thin plate cools better
> than fluid flow through open air (i.e. just one big hole).
> You, on the other hand, dispute that, so *you* must
> prove your radical theories.
>
>*TimDaniels*

You are taking two facts and taking them out of context;

> No, my theory is based on solid aerodynamics and
> thermodynamics that say that turbulence aids heat
> transfer

True; This applies at a surface ie over a surface of a heat source.
(and even then, the effect is dwarfed by higher air volume)

and that fluid flow through an orifice in a thin
> plate produces turbulence.

True;

The logical conclusion is that
> fluid flow through an orifice in a thin plate cools better
> than fluid flow through open air (i.e. just one big hole).
> You, on the other hand, dispute that, so *you* must
> prove your radical theories.

Wrong. The last time I checked, a hole was not a radiant surface.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

hey wrote:

> While all you smart fellas argue the finer points of Laminar flow and
> turbulence, I'll just make sure EVERYONE knows that what cools the
> system best is surface are. You could have effectively NO airflow
> and as long as you have enough surface area, you WILL cool. Thats
> why you can find some nifty fanless systems online now. I think
> CoolerMaster has a totally fanless case/ssytem- though it does use
> heatpipes extensively.
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

Even passive cooling has airflow: convection.

On 21 Jun 2004 16:11:18 -0400, ebdot@cox-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (hey)
wrote:

>While all you smart fellas argue the finer points of Laminar flow and
>turbulence, I'll just make sure EVERYONE knows that what cools the
>system best is surface are. You could have effectively NO airflow
>and as long as you have enough surface area, you WILL cool. Thats
>why you can find some nifty fanless systems online now. I think
>CoolerMaster has a totally fanless case/ssytem- though it does use
>heatpipes extensively.

That's not surface area making it viable, it's the heat pipes. Put the
biggest non-heatpipe heatsink you can fit on a P4 Prescott, without any
fans, and certainly you're asking for trouble. Read carefully the warranty
statements of passive cooling solutions, if they don't warranty parts
damage or data loss then the higher temps are quite a risk. The temps are
higher. The industry has evolved such that there is no "magic trick" to
cooling, time-tested soltions are already employed. The only question is
whether the person setting up system is optimizing for cost, noise,
performance, size, or some other parameter.

hey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004

What makes one heatsink work better than another when they are made
from the same material? Surface finish, surface area, total mass,
and airflow... thats why most you have a junk heatsink like some of
the Thermaltake offerings, yet have a great Heatsink like the
Thermalright ones.

All those years as an HVAC tech weren't totally wasted! :D

While turbulence, laminar flow, etc all have a bearing on cooling, the
bottom line is more surface area=more heat transfer.