Turn off 2.4 Band?

PeaceDealer

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Hello

Is there a way that i can turn off the 2.4 Band on my WiFi card? For some reason it keeps swtiching to another router in the area, which only broadcasts the 2.4, even tho i through the software pick the 5 GHz network?

My wifi card is the Asus PCE-AC68 and I'm running windows 8 (not 8.1)

Solution
It really depends on the driver. Most are designed to not confuse all the stupid people and either have removed or hidden in advanced options. If it has the ability it will be in the advanced setting tab under the driver for the network. You might be able to get it to select 802.11ac only which would force it to run on 5g only.... hard to say what they include they get the dummies you make changes to the advanced settings and then call their support line.

The selection of network is generally controlled by SSID. The devices will unfortunately select the strongest signal with the same SSID which tends to be 2.4g in most cases if both 5g and 2.4g have the same SSID. The theory that the strongest signal is always the best of course...
It really depends on the driver. Most are designed to not confuse all the stupid people and either have removed or hidden in advanced options. If it has the ability it will be in the advanced setting tab under the driver for the network. You might be able to get it to select 802.11ac only which would force it to run on 5g only.... hard to say what they include they get the dummies you make changes to the advanced settings and then call their support line.

The selection of network is generally controlled by SSID. The devices will unfortunately select the strongest signal with the same SSID which tends to be 2.4g in most cases if both 5g and 2.4g have the same SSID. The theory that the strongest signal is always the best of course ignores the issue of interference.

You should always set your 2.4g and 5g band ssid different. You should also always use a different SSID than anyone else around you. In theory at least the equipment in your house should always have the strongest signal levels. I guess someone might be able to spoof your 5g ssid onto the 2.4g and try to trick you card into switching. There should be a setting in the driver for something called roaming aggressiveness or similar....unless they removed that too.

Solution
With dual and, if your modem/router is dual band it will show up as 2 different network devices. Just connect to the one with 5GHz wifi to use that band.

It might be that the 5GHz is a weak signal; - eg lots of other devices using it - and so the asus adapter switches automatically.

What modem/router are you using?

sobU

Reputable
May 23, 2014
Some WiFi cards allow choosing what bands you want to use.
It's worth checking in the driver properties of the device in the device manager - look for 2.4 or band G there.
Please note that disabling the 2.4 band is risky since it will limit the variety of networks you will be able to connect to, so playing with the routers SSID, as proposed above, is the preferred option.

Feb 21, 2019
I recently came across this with a PCE-AC56 card, I had bought a TP link Archer T6E and found that I needed better antenna placement after disabling the 2.4ghz band in their driver. Saw the PCE-AC56 was only $20 more and came with the external antenna so upgraded, when I installed the ASUS card it detected as a tplink, I installed the ASUS driver and quickly found that I couldn't disable the 2.4ghz band, so I switched back to the T6E driver and have had no issues with it.

You might be able to achieve this by installing the TP-Link Archer T9E driver for your card, they are probably using the same chipset underneath it all.

Mahbub1

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
802.11ac only which would force it to r
I recently came across this with a PCE-AC56 card, I had bought a TP link Archer T6E and found that I needed better antenna placement after disabling the 2.4ghz band in their driver. Saw the PCE-AC56 was only $20 more and came with the external antenna so upgraded, when I installed the ASUS card it detected as a tplink, I installed the ASUS driver and quickly found that I couldn't disable the 2.4ghz band, so I switched back to the T6E driver and have had no issues with it.

You might be able to achieve this by installing the TP-Link Archer T9E driver for your card, they are probably using the same chipset underneath it all.
please tell me how to disable 2.4 ghz on archer t6e