Question Turn off gpu to save $.

Oct 27, 2022
I'm doing all my downloads during the night ( poor speed ) , while I sleep. So to save money for enegry I'd like to know if it's possible for me to turn off the gpu. PC will shut down after download and I when I'd turn pc in the morning gpu will work normaly is it possible?
Also i have Ryzen 5 5600x so no integrated Graphics.

1. No you cannot have the PC turn off the GPU although you can make the monitor go to sleep sooner
  2. When at idle the GPU is going to be drawing very little power and a desktop is essentially an idle workload so compared to the whole your GPU is going to only be making up ~15% of the total power used. As a result I would not consider this a viable or advisable option.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm doing all my downloads during the night ( poor speed ) , while I sleep. So to save money for enegry I'd like to know if it's possible for me to turn off the gpu. PC will shut down after download and I when I'd turn pc in the morning gpu will work normaly is it possible?
Also i have Ryzen 5 5600x so no integrated Graphics.
Do the calculations before going too far down this road.
At idle, the GPU is using very very little power.

My current GPU, GTX 1660ti, uses about 17W at idle, as I sit here right now.

If we consider 8 hours per day of that "idle", and $0.12 kWh (typical US power cost), that would be $0.50/month, about $6 per year.

HWMonitor to derive YOUR GPU usage, and this calculator to derive cost:
https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/electricity-calculator.html