Turn Your iPad into a Netbook for Under $150

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacapaca

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
"Failing that, you could buy a real 9-inch netbook for less money and with a full-featured OS that will let you do a lot more than the iPad. Your call."

Saw the article title and immediately thought the same thing. Even for a base iPad 16GB, you'd end up spending over $700 for what will essentially be a slow netbook with a touch screen. I guess if you bought an iPad before realizing how gimped it is without a real keyboard, this might be a decent addon...

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Umm, no thanks. I'll stick with my dual core, dual gpu, dual battery, dual touch-screen (capacitive and digital pen), tablet-pc. It runs windows 7, plays games such (as Borderlands, SC2, Fallout 3), has better resolution and a bigger screen... and the list goes on and on. I paid less for it than I would for an ipad + crux combo and for all the advantages my only disadvantages are that it's a bit thicker and heavier - but not that much.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Jane McEntegart[/nom]"Failing that, you could buy a real 9-inch netbook for less money and with a full-featured OS that will let you do a lot more than the iPad. Your call."[/citation]
Best line I've seen in a news post in quite a while; sums it all up quite well.

Still, interesting to see what's been made; while Apple's products have almost never been known for the capabilities they brought for the price, they HAVE always been known for pushing miniaturization in ways that arguably go too far: MP3 players small enough to swallow, laptops thin enough to slip out of your hands, and phones tiny enough to not have glass without it cracking. So to see an iPad-based netbook is INTERESTING, even if not PRACTICAL.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Something tells me money is no option for the Apple faithful. Of course, this isn't branded by Apple, so it probably won't catch-on. Of course, Apple might release something similar in the future, and people will praise Apple for its ingenuity.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]didymus03[/nom]Umm, no thanks. I'll stick with my dual core, dual gpu, dual battery, dual touch-screen (capacitive and digital pen), tablet-pc. It runs windows 7, plays games such (as Borderlands, SC2, Fallout 3), has better resolution and a bigger screen... and the list goes on and on. I paid less for it than I would for an ipad + crux combo and for all the advantages my only disadvantages are that it's a bit thicker and heavier - but not that much.[/citation]

What tablet is it?

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Acutally this is a great idea! Not from a logical view, but from a business standpoint. Let me explain:

A. User buys Ipad because they think it's better than a netbook.
2. User realizes Ipad is pointless and they really needed a netbook.
D. Rather than admitting stupidity for being suckered into Apple's marketing campaign, instead of paying another $300 for an actual netbook, it costs LESS to buy a netbook attachment! Now they can covert their device into the exact thing that they were trying to avoid, but really needed in the first place.

They were even smart enough to leave the Apple logo showing! We all know how critical that is to the functionality of computers. Genius.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]What tablet is it?[/citation]
It's a mythical tablet created by a person who dislikes something so bad they have to resort to wild fabrications to try and make a point.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Heck, even the Macbook Air would be reasonable (pricewise) compared to this solution. Still won't court much more iPad buyers

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Great. Now if only we had a gadget that allowed us to deal with the fact that you just spent $650 on a convertible netbook with a crap processor 1ghz processor and 16gb of hard drive space.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I've got an iPad, and as a portable way to view your documents and media its great.

But as a way to create media, it's downright aweful. Lack of flash is a massive thing, but you learn to live without it, and more and more sights are making HTML5 versions. That said, I would still pay a kingly sum to have flash on the iPad.

I wouldn't buy a netbook personally, if you want a laptop, go into the midrange of things and spend ~$1000. Doesn't have to be a macbook, although for students I'd recommend that cuz of the behemoth battery life. Install windows 7 if you hate OS X. You can get a somewhat decent gaming PC laptop for that price as well, like the M11x.

So in conclusion, if your gonna cheap out, get an iPad (or similar product, like the Playbook when it's out). The iPad, atm, is the best choice, but that's gonna change when the other manufacturers get their products out.

If you do want a laptop/netbook, spend the extra few hundred and get a decent laptop (no atom CPU, etc.).

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
people bying this thing would also put money if Apple was involved as these people dont care what they are getting just the Apple name is enough

Status
Not open for further replies.