Turn Your PC Into a Red Burning Laser

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I think Tom's should be a little more responsible with advertising videos such as this. The potential for accidents and to cause real harm with this is extremely high. Just playing around with the PSU is bad enough.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Well I already own a Class IV 10 Joule output (20,000 watt output in 1/2000 of a second pulse Neodymium Glass Laser that's perfect for vaporizing anything.Just a change of a ROD (Ruby) and the output coupler (transflective mirror) and mirror and it's red.The power supply is 3.6 megawatts of power (2,000 volts at 1,800 amperes)discharged in 1/2000th of a second.It also makes a nice coil gun and also a nice portable electocution machine too.

However it was somewhat costly and the Laser shown here is much cheaper,much easier to acquire and easy to build,

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]Well I already own a Class IV 10 Joule output (20,000 watt output in 1/2000 of a second pulse Neodymium Glass Laser that's perfect for vaporizing anything.Just a change of a ROD (Ruby) and the output coupler (transflective mirror) and mirror and it's red.The power supply is 3.6 megawatts of power (2,000 volts at 1,800 amperes)discharged in 1/2000th of a second.It also makes a nice coil gun and also a nice portable electocution machine too.However it was somewhat costly and the Laser shown here is much cheaper,much easier to acquire and easy to build,[/citation]

its all useless unless you mount it onto a shark...

I just finished a lab in which we used 200mW lasers to trap bacteria (the setup is called Optical Tweezers)

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]I think Tom's should be a little more responsible with advertising videos such as this. The potential for accidents and to cause real harm with this is extremely high. Just playing around with the PSU is bad enough.[/citation]

And kids shouldn't be able to play dodgeball, and everyone should wear padded helmets and lifejackets just in case.

Toms isn't advertising this, they're merely showing us the interesting things people have done with their tech. If you choose to try and do the same thing, it's at your own risk. If you don't have the equipment/competence to do it correctly, then don't.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]I think Tom's should be a little more responsible with advertising videos such as this. The potential for accidents and to cause real harm with this is extremely high. Just playing around with the PSU is bad enough.[/citation]

Are you Buzz Killington?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
that's why noobs don't usually visit this site

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
You have to sit perfectly still for an hour in order for this deadly laser to kill you. It's slower than digging a heart out with a spoon, so you'll have to be very patient when playing Star Wars...

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I think he tried to make a joke when removing the heatsink if nobody else noticed that. :p

I want to see this done with a new BDXL laser, that one would probably burn a hole through one of the walls in your house.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]Well I already own a Class IV 10 Joule output (20,000 watt output in 1/2000 of a second pulse Neodymium Glass Laser that's perfect for vaporizing anything.Just a change of a ROD (Ruby) and the output coupler (transflective mirror) and mirror and it's red.The power supply is 3.6 megawatts of power (2,000 volts at 1,800 amperes)discharged in 1/2000th of a second.It also makes a nice coil gun and also a nice portable electocution machine too.However it was somewhat costly and the Laser shown here is much cheaper,much easier to acquire and easy to build,[/citation]

Bullshit much? There's no way you would have access to that much input power and even if you did, operating the thing would require a massive cooling unit. So you might have access to one in a factory or high end lab, but you certainly don't "own" one.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]Bullshit much? There's no way you would have access to that much input power and even if you did, operating the thing would require a massive cooling unit. So you might have access to one in a factory or high end lab, but you certainly don't "own" one.[/citation]
No I think you don't quite understand.The Power Supply itself stores electrical power in a capacitor bank charging the capacitor bank over time.It discharges the energy into xenon flashtubes which pump the solid state Laser rod to a higher energy state.This Laser type is in fact the oldest type of Laser known (Ruby Laser pumped by flashlamps).The pulse is extremely high for a short duration of time.In fact Q-Switched Solid State flashlamp Lasers can have outputs of 100's of millions of watts or more of Laser radiation energy output in billionths of a second.My Laser itself is portable (charged by a 12 volt battery cell).Look up Theodore Maimen (inventor of the Ruby Laser).Also look up Ruby Laser.Try Wikipedia first.These Lasers have been around since the 1960's.

Actually my Laser uses right now a Neodymium Glass Rod which is more efficient than a synthetic Ruby Rod.Neodymium Glass Lasers produce the highest PEAK pulse of Laser energy (much larger Neodymium Glass Amplifiers are used in the National Laser Ignition facility (Thermonuclear Fusion).

I do certainly and personally own one.Have since 1992.
(

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]No I think you don't quite understand.The Power Supply itself stores electrical power in a capacitor bank charging the capacitor bank over time.It discharges the energy into xenon flashtubes which pump the solid state Laser rod to a higher energy state.This Laser type is in fact the oldest type of Laser known (Ruby Laser pumped by flashlamps).The pulse is extremely high for a short duration of time.In fact Q-Switched Solid State flashlamp Lasers can have outputs of 100's of millions of watts or more of Laser radiation energy output in billionths of a second.My Laser itself is portable (charged by a 12 volt battery cell).Look up Theodore Maimen (inventor of the Ruby Laser).Also look up Ruby Laser.Try Wikipedia first.These Lasers have been around since the 1960's.Actually my Laser uses right now a Neodymium Glass Rod which is more efficient than a synthetic Ruby Rod.Neodymium Glass Lasers produce the highest PEAK pulse of Laser energy (much larger Neodymium Glass Amplifiers are used in the National Laser Ignition facility (Thermonuclear Fusion).I do certainly and personally own one.Have since 1992.([/citation]

How much does a system like yours cost now a days if one wants to build one?

Ive been fascinated by Ruby Lasers for quite a while now

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]How much does a system like yours cost now a days if one wants to build one?Ive been fascinated by Ruby Lasers for quite a while now[/citation]
Um I think that it cost around $2,800 back in 1992 for the Pulsed Power Supply,Xenon Flashlamps,Neodymium Glass Rod,Laser head with Silver Block Reflector,Output coupler (transflector) and reflector (mirror).
Actually I misspelled the (Ruby Laser) inventor's name it's Theodore Maiman.It's really quite a fascinating science project (easy to convert into other things as well (electomagnetic coil rail gun with the power supply).If I also had a KTP crystal I could also inefficiently halve the infrared wavelength so it would be green colored (slightly shorter in wavelength than those Nd-YAG KTP green pointers.
One can sometimes find these used or build as a kit.In you tube videos of Ruby Laser shots one can't see the beam because it's so short lived.However in person it's a bright flash.Essentially if you've ever owned a camera flash unit that's basically a small pulsed power supply with a capacitor and a small xenon flash unit.You know how bright a flash unit is (but only for a very short duration of time).
It's kind of neat though knowing that one can generate in a very tiny space (if Q-Switched) higher temperatures for a very short unit of time about 10 nanoseconds than that of Lithium 6 Deuteride (thermonuclear fuel fusing.It's not really impressive rather a small experiment (curiosity).Kind of neat though vaporizing a hole in a diamond or blasting microholes in razor blades.Ruby Laser's were used in conjunction with flash detector (aiming) as blinding weapons on board a few helicopters as an experiment during the Vietnam conflict to blind enemy Viet Cong AA FLAK gunners looking through their scopes.Don't know how effective it was then but the Army has much better blinding Laser's now.
I would say a Flash lamp pumped Chemical Dye Laser would be far far better (Flashlamp pumped Chemical Dye Laser's need a special ultra short duration discharge Pulsed Power Supply (has to pump with light radiation in under 500 nanoseconds as best to work)).Usually many of them can crudely work with a SCR but a Krytron switch is better to discharge the electical energy into the flashlamps (can be home made vacuum-air flashlamps).I would say you would perhaps more enjoy building a flashlamp pumped Chemical Dye Laser instead.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]Um I think that it cost around $2,800 back in 1992 for the Pulsed Power Supply,Xenon Flashlamps,Neodymium Glass Rod,Laser head with Silver Block Reflector,Output coupler (transflector) and reflector (mirror).Actually I misspelled the (Ruby Laser) inventor's name it's Theodore Maiman.It's really quite a fascinating science project (easy to convert into other things as well (electomagnetic coil rail gun with the power supply).If I also had a KTP crystal I could also inefficiently halve the infrared wavelength so it would be green colored (slightly shorter in wavelength than those Nd-YAG KTP green pointers.One can sometimes find these used or build as a kit.In you tube videos of Ruby Laser shots one can't see the beam because it's so short lived.However in person it's a bright flash.Essentially if you've ever owned a camera flash unit that's basically a small pulsed power supply with a capacitor and a small xenon flash unit.You know how bright a flash unit is (but only for a very short duration of time).It's kind of neat though knowing that one can generate in a very tiny space (if Q-Switched) higher temperatures for a very short unit of time about 10 nanoseconds than that of Lithium 6 Deuteride (thermonuclear fuel fusing.It's not really impressive rather a small experiment (curiosity).Kind of neat though vaporizing a hole in a diamond or blasting microholes in razor blades.Ruby Laser's were used in conjunction with flash detector (aiming) as blinding weapons on board a few helicopters as an experiment during the Vietnam conflict to blind enemy Viet Cong AA FLAK gunners looking through their scopes.Don't know how effective it was then but the Army has much better blinding Laser's now.I would say a Flash lamp pumped Chemical Dye Laser would be far far better (Flashlamp pumped Chemical Dye Laser's need a special ultra short duration discharge Pulsed Power Supply (has to pump with light radiation in under 500 nanoseconds as best to work)).Usually many of them can crudely work with a SCR but a Krytron switch is better to discharge the electical energy into the flashlamps (can be home made vacuum-air flashlamps).I would say you would perhaps more enjoy building a flashlamp pumped Chemical Dye Laser instead.[/citation]

Thanks a lot,

I still need a good optics and laser course to get more familiar with the lasers and solids. I am doing a 3rd year optics lab in which we experiment with lasers but still need more knowledge :p

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Also A Pulsed Power Supplied Flashlamp pumped Chemical dye Laser is quite satisfying generally producing Laser radiation millions of times brighter than Helium Neon Gas or Red 635nm 5 mw continuous wave Lasers and thousands of times brighter (for short duration pulses) than those miniaturized 532 nm ND:YAG KTP Laser pointers.In addition various dyes can be used to cover a broad band of wavelengths (colors) and a prism can be used to modify the wavelength as well.Pretty much the same principle as a Ruby Laser but the liquid dye flows through the Laser cavity so there is quick cooling and faster shots than a Solid State Laser which cools much slower between shots.There are plans for this type too.Just do a search on the Internet.
A home hobbyist with the right tools would be able to home build this but one would need to order some special optics as well as the dye chemicals.
Generally some home built small dye Lasers like this will produce a few hundred Milli joules (average watts per second not peak though) of Laser Radiation and larger units generally a couple of Joules of Laser Radiation energy photon output.This is quite a very dangerous and hazardous Laser (both optically and electrically) as Laser goggles will not protect against the uncommon wavelengths.Enjoy though if you can do this safely.Again it's perhaps one of the most satisfying and amazing Laser's to build.

G

@jj463rd

Geneva dont like weapons that maim enemy combatant (blinding is classified as maiming), it's classified as a war crime, which i always found strange, your allowed to kill them just no maim them.......

Status
Not open for further replies.