[SOLVED] Turns on automatically from power save mode

RobK92

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
Hi,

This issue appeared recently.

After I put my computer on power save mode it takes 1-3 seconds and it turns on automatically.
I've done some searching on google with no luck. It doesn't seem to be a common problem.

The only thing I've done recently is switching out my PSU power cable from a 1,5m to a 3m.

Solution
I solved the problem by opening Device Manager>Network adapters>Gigabit Network Connection>Properties and Power Management. From there I could uncheck the Allow this Device to Wake the Computer.

After that the computer didn't wake up.

RobK92

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
Could you please give a detail description of the problem as well as your hardware specs?

Including PSU brand, model, and how long you have got it for.

Got the PSU 2020-12-13 and installed it 2021-01-06

As in recently the problem occured today.
I've tried to switch off the power, unplug the power cable to the PSU and plugged it back in. Right after that I powered on the computer and set it to power save mode. This time it was off for 30min untill it automatically went ON again.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: Nvidia GTX 3070 8GB
PSU: Corsair RM850x 850w v2
RAM: 16GB Corsair Venegance
Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Auros Elite (ATX)

Last edited:

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Wait. I don't understand why you would be putting on power saving mode for a Desktop PC?

Normally there shouldn't even be an option for this since your PC is powered by an PSU unit rather than an battery like those you get in laptop. Am I misunderstanding something here?

RobK92

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
Wait. I don't understand why you would be putting on power saving mode for a Desktop PC?

Normally there shouldn't even be an option for this since your PC is powered by an PSU unit rather than an battery like those you get in laptop. Am I misunderstanding something here?
It has worked untill today. Don't you have the option to Shut down, log out, restart or power save mode(the computer turns off but program stay open and it will power on as soon as you press a key).

I think the translation from swedish is power safe mode.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Mhm, I think you might be referring to the 'sleep' mode or hibernation mode. The 'sleep' mode I have which turns off screen after not using for a certain amount of time. As soon as your press any keys or move your mouse, it opens up again.

Could you go to 'Power & Sleep Settings' and see what are the options for your PC.

RobK92

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
Mhm, I think you might be referring to the 'sleep' mode or hibernation mode. The 'sleep' mode I have which turns off screen after not using for a certain amount of time. As soon as your press any keys or move your mouse, it opens up again.

Could you go to 'Power & Sleep Settings' and see what are the options for your PC.
Yes exactly! Sorry for my poor grammar.
I’ll return to this thread tomorrow when I’m at the computer

RobK92

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020

I located the problem of what's causing my computer to wake up by checking powercfg/lastwake via the command prompt, it was the Gigabit Network Connection.
When I unplugged the network cable and set it to sleep mode the computer didn't wake up.

Come to think of it, I recently swapped my own router to another one from my internet provider, because mine stopped working. It seems to be causing this issue.

RobK92

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
I solved the problem by opening Device Manager>Network adapters>Gigabit Network Connection>Properties and Power Management. From there I could uncheck the Allow this Device to Wake the Computer.

After that the computer didn't wake up.

Solution