Turtle Beach Headset Has DTS Headphone:X

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratchet256

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
> gaming headset
> $120

Get Audio Technica ATH-m40x headphones, and a mod mic 4.0. That's about $150. Infinitely better than any gaming headset could ever hope to be.

TeddyShotgun

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
I have the Ear Force Phantom for $120 two weeks ago, (improved version of the XP510) its a fantastic headset, in terms of comfort, sound, and design. On top of that it is compatible with almost all platforms. However the new generation of Turtle Beach headsets are restricted to only one or two platforms per headset, for example the newest flagship TB is restricted to PS4 and PS3 (you can use it on Xbox but without chat support). Turtle Beach needs to make another flagship model with full compatibility like the XP510.

TeddyShotgun

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
I have the Ear Force Phantom for $120 two weeks ago, (improved version of the XP510) its a fantastic headset, in terms of comfort, sound, and design. On top of that it is compatible with almost all platforms. However the new generation of Turtle Beach headsets are restricted to only one or two platforms per headset, for example the newest flagship TB is restricted to PS4 and PS3 (you can use it on Xbox but without chat support). Turtle Beach needs to make another flagship model with full compatibility like the XP510.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
No thanks, I'll stick with my Sennheiser studio headphones and Blue Yeti/Samson Go mic tandem. Much better headphone and microphone quality than any "Gaming" headset.

schwatzz

Distinguished
Correct me if I'm wrong but DTS is just a sound format and has been around for quite some time. I don't think you need specific pieces of audio equipment to get the most out of DTS. I thought Dolby Atmos is the new kid on the block in sound design, allowing for sound to be produced vertically.

schwatzz

Distinguished
Correct me if I'm wrong but DTS is just a sound format and has been around for quite some time. I don't think you need specific pieces of audio equipment to get the most out of DTS. I thought Dolby Atmos is the new kid on the block in sound design, allowing for sound to be produced vertically.

thee_prisoner

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008

Everybody knows that regular headphones have better overall quality. I have high quality headphones. The point of these headsets and ones like it, is they can do 7.1 and with the DTS Headphone X can offer 11.1 simulated surround for gaming. Really the point is the surround sound processor Z60 amp. I'm sure the Technica doesn't
include a surround processor amp.

Schwatzz, DTS offers sound to be produced vertically like Dolby Atom.

At least in terms of music and movies, I prefer DTS but with games, the audio quality is average anyways so DTS or Dolby will work well.

Happy surround, the Prisoner...

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
It's kinda sad that people spend money on audio equipment because of "cheap plastics looking cool" and boasting "gamer" on the box. I would stick to some audiophile brand. Discrete mics are 99% of the time better than those integrated.
Sennheiser PC360 has very good performance and a superior mic.

ratchet256

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Everybody knows that regular headphones have better overall quality. I have high quality headphones. The point of these headsets and ones like it, is they can do 7.1 and with the DTS Headphone X can offer 11.1 simulated surround for gaming. Really the point is the surround sound processor Z60 amp. I'm sure the Technica doesn't
include a surround processor amp.

Stereo can do surround just fine. Besides, you can just download this surround sound program from Razer if you really care about that kind of thing.

http://www.razerzone.com/surround

But every time I have heard "virtual surround" it made everything sound like it was being played through tin cans. So I don't know why that is desirable.

thee_prisoner

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008

I haven't checked lately about the Razer surround program. Last time I checked you had to have a Razer device to use it. From what I've heard it works ok, better then Realtek sound chip but not as good as the Dolby or DTS solutions.

For gaming I use a 5.1 analog headset run through a surround processor but mostly use home speakers( I have a high quality setup) for 5.1/7.1 gaming, movies and music which sound better than most headsets or headphones anyways. Having said that, virtual surround has gone leaps and bounds in the quality of sound and it's spatial clues.

To answer Easylover: The Sennheiser PC360 for a headset is great but over priced imho at 300.00 plus. It's too bad the mic keeps breaking on them. What you really have to do is check out some different ones and find one that suits your music and gaming. Generally, music for vocals, acoustic, classical and jazz, you want a good headphone. Rock, rap and etc an average quality headphone or headset will probably be fine.

Happy listening, the Prisoner...

TheMentalist

Distinguished

Compared to stereo headsets(which can simulate surround perfectly), not so great value. Never liked surround on headsets, they're not the real deal on headsets, know what I mean.

beoir

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Turtle Beach has a long and sordid history with the build quality of their headsets. I invite you to go to NewEgg and look at some of their earlier models. I myself made two attempts with them. Each time my headsets literally fell to pieces in less than 5 months each time.
I would strongly recommend not buying from them.

Well, sorta wrong / sorta right. Yes, DTS has had many formats around for a while, but this is DTS Headphone:X, a new format for emulating 11.1 channels.

Remember that DTS signals require licensing fees ( sometimes, ) and special hardware/software to encode/decode it in real-time ( same goes for Dolby. ) Note that decoding it usually isn't an issue since that's handled on the speaker or receiver side. Real-time encoding isn't as common. Most game devs don't want to pay DTS or Dolby licensing fees and relatively few mboards have the hardware to do it in any case. So most the surround sound in games right now is just uncompressed audio across the 3.5mm multi-channel jacks.

If you plug into the S/PDIF port on the mboard, you're only getting stereo in games, not 5.1 digital audio. If you play movies on your PC, you'll get 5.1 over the S/PDIF because the encoded DTS or Dolby audio track was already stored on the DVD or embedded in the movie file, so it's being fed straight to the S/PDIF with no encoding necessary.

To get real-time DTS and Dolby, you need DTS-Connect and Dobly Digital Live capabilities. The PS3 and X360 both had hardware to run the reat-time encoding. Most add-in sound cards for PC do this too ( though DDL seems to be more common than DTS-C. ) Some newer LGA 1150 mboards have DTS-Connect as well ( but not DDL that I know of. ) In the case of these headphones, audio data bypasses the mboard and is sent over USB to be processed by the headphones ( or more accurately by the DSP in the remote block on the cord. ) That DSP sends a virtual surround stereo signal to the cans.

As far as Dolby Atmos, that requires special hardware too. It's just a different form of sound processing for layering and positioning audio.

What about Kingston HyperX Pro or Cloud Gaming headset. I've head so much praise for these headsets. Are they really that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.