Turtle Beach Impact 700 Mechanical Keyboard Review: The Sweet Spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekguy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
This keyboard looks to me a lot like an old IBM one (in it's design) with PS/2 connector, that we had in a lab for a Novell network with a 386 server. Back then they used to make real sturdy things...

livingspeedbump

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
This keyboard looks to me a lot like an old IBM one (in it's design) with PS/2 connector, that we had in a lab for a Novell network with a 386 server. Back then they used to make real sturdy things...

From the side, due to the rounded case it does look a bit like the old IBM design from their Model F's or Beam Spring keyboards. Now an F AT or Beam Spring...I'd have no hesitation dropping $200 on.

They are obviously trying to play on their name with their headphone lines because I paid $165 for my K95 RGB and I feel it is probably a vastly better keyboard than this.

Right? There are too many great keyboards by great manufacturers already out there - manufacturers with even better reputations than Turtle Beach such as Corsair - for Turtle Beach to successfully enter the market at a $200 price point. Does Turtle Beach really have that great of a rep? The only thing I've known them for is good-quality headphones for gaming consoles. That's my impression of that company.

I'd see them gaining traction at around a more realistic $120 for what the article shows here. They need to be able to compete with a solid company like Logitech before they think they can price themselves above high-end Corsair.

If this keyboard allowed you to turn off the tilde key in the BF4 or SWBF profile (why isn't this part of the software for keyboards anyway?), it might be a different story. Just maybe.

To be fair Corsair gained their reputation through memory and slowly released other good products.

That said, their headphones are OK. I mean if I were to buy headphones I wouldn't buy them but for normal console gamers they work decently.

Even competing with Logitech will be hard. I love Corsairs keyboards but I still love Logitechs mice and even their keyboards are decent enough. Maybe not in my taste design wise but good quality.

They will sell though. Any console noob moving into PC gaming will see the name and remember the headphones thinking it is the better quality brand when it is meh. It is like Beats. Just because Dre owns the name and uses his name people buy them because they think "he makes music he knows how to make headphones". I can tell you my Creative 2.1 set from almost 10 years ago pounds any Beats speaker or headphone set in quality.

Ahhh the easily tricked mind of the common man.

gondo

Distinguished

Turtle Beach doesn't make headphones. They make headsets, there is a difference.

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
ha.. mine is a headset.. thought I needed to chat while gaming.. the setup is kinda redundant.. with my soundblaster z, both want to power the mike.. thing is the sound is better through my speakers.. than the phones.. a few war type games you do need a headset.. I had found .. your kinda a dork not being able to chat..

Status
Not open for further replies.