TV as PC monitor

Pero_1

Commendable
Oct 10, 2016
Im thinking about buying PC and I was thinking could I use my TV as monitor for PC. Its Grundig 32VLE6730BP. Is it the best ti use HDMI for that or VGA?

Solution

1. You'll use your PC for what purpose? Asking because Video Monitors has its name because it has very little latency when proccessing video data and displaying that data. If you plan on gaming, you'll want to run form a TV like it's the plague, because TVs add a ton of lag between it receiving the data and actually displaying it on-screen.
2. How far from this TV will you be sitting at? Asking because it's a 31 inch TV with only 1920x1080 resolution. Which means you'll have a significantly low pixel density per inch and sitting with this low pixel density right in your face is...

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I found a TV isn't good as a monitor. I worked and it looked fine,
I don't know why but my TV hurt me with eye strain and made me cross-eyed until I had to go to the eye doctor.
Once I started using a monitor again my eyes got better right away.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Sorry to hear about that. What did your doctor say?

I went to BestBuy last year. The guy told me that if I use the 55" TV as monitor, I would have my eyes damaged permanently as it is too bright.

May 7, 2018

1. You'll use your PC for what purpose? Asking because Video Monitors has its name because it has very little latency when proccessing video data and displaying that data. If you plan on gaming, you'll want to run form a TV like it's the plague, because TVs add a ton of lag between it receiving the data and actually displaying it on-screen.
2. How far from this TV will you be sitting at? Asking because it's a 31 inch TV with only 1920x1080 resolution. Which means you'll have a significantly low pixel density per inch and sitting with this low pixel density right in your face is actually damaging to your eyes.

So, all things considered: You should really focus on an actual video monitor if you expect any kind of good response performance by your video display and you should also focus on the proper pixel density per inch base on the distance at which you'll be seeing the image.

Solution

rgs80074

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
here's my experience with this.

I have two monitors hooked to my computer
one pc monitor asus hd 1080
the other is a 43 inch 4k tv

playing videos and such on the tv monitor is just fine and the reason i have it

can't say anything about gaming as i don't really game.

as for pc work, i will say word, surfing etc on the tv monitor is, well sub par, i've tried but nothing gets the text and such clear, on the actual monitor its nice and clear and crisp.

i hope this helps some.

May 7, 2018

Hi!
The reason why your 4K TV didn't look as sharp as the monitor was probrably because Windows' poor scaling feature. If it didn't scale the content (enlarging it to your tv display) it'd look sharp BUT very, very small. So windows probrably auto scaled the content going to your TV to avoid this "problem", but as I said: windows' scaling feature isnt optimal and it blurs the hell out of the content, specialy text