Question TV sound to speakers via Receiver.

Oct 1, 2019
Equipment:
TV: Toshiba 32" flat-screen (no bells and whistles)
Receiver: Sony STR-DH190
Goal: feed sound from TV to speakers through receiver.

Sorry if you've seen this one a time or two before, but I just hooked up a new TV and receiver, and I'm still experimenting with ways to feed TV sound to the speakers, via the receiver.

Looks like I have some options, but I'm not sure which would be the best one with these components. I'm not an audiofile, but enjoy listening to media through the speakers occasionally. The TV manual shows a cable going from the headphone jack to RCA inputs on the receiver. It works, but the sound is extremely bass-heavy, and I have to tweak the bass/treble on the receiver. When I turn the TV on, it gives me the choice between headphones and audio. I've been choosing audio. Haven't tried the headphone option yet.

I have 2 HDMI ports on the TV. One of them is labeled HDMI/ARC. Would this work better for what I'm trying to do? Would I need a different HDMI/RCA converter than for the standard HDMI port? Would the quality of the sound be better? The other regular HDMI port is being used for my Chromecast.

The RCA ports on the TV are being used to connect the TV via composite cables to my DVD recorder. Would I get a better result (for TV sound) if I switched to a HDMI cable to connect to the DVD recorder and used the RCA ports on the TV to connect to the RCA inputs on the receiver?

Thanks for any help!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hdmi ARC - audio return channel requires both TV and AVR to support this feature. Ya kinda restricted to analog, or if your TV has optical, there are inexpensive converters to RCA available.

Regarding your current method using the headphone out, have you looked in the TVs audio settings for bass?

Oct 1, 2019
Hdmi ARC - audio return channel requires both TV and AVR to support this feature. Ya kinda restricted to analog, or if your TV has optical, there are inexpensive converters to RCA available.

Regarding your current method using the headphone out, have you looked in the TVs audio settings for bass?
-

Oct 1, 2019
Sorry to take so long to get back to you, especially since you replied so promptly. I'm going to try the HDMI connection sometime, but I have solved the problem for the time being. (Eureka!) When I turn the TV on, I have a choice of AUDIO or HEADPHONE. If I choose headphone, I now have sound through the AV speakers without the extreme bass.

I feel like an idiot, I should have tried that before this, but I thought that I would have to use the headphone jack only as a last resort. Aargh.

Thanks again!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No worries.

Does your TV have optical? Because Hdmi definitely won't work so if your TV does have optical id use that if you want to try. Both opt and Hdmi are digital audio and quality is the same albeit quality can change again after converting.

Amazon has a wide variety of optical to RCA converters.

TRENDING THREADS