[SOLVED] TV too old RCA amplifier question

Hi everyone.

I just had a friend call me and ask me a audio question when I'm not even good at that.

I know that he has a samsung 32 series 4 UN32M4500AF. Which has an HDMI (ARC) IN.

His speakers system is pretty old and it has an RCA amplifier.

What I need is a HDMI ARC Cable, an audio converter (HDMI arc to White and Red cable RCA) and a white and red cable from the converter to the amplifier?

Did I get this right? is it even gonna work? Is the TV gonna be able to output audio to the amplifier that way and is it the only way?

Solution
If you connect this HDMI ARC to some converter box, this HDMI line is a source and an input so you will need to be on that port for the audio to work for it. Meaning if you are playing something from the internal TV apps or tuner, I don't think there will be any audio coming out of that HDMI port.

If the TV has no audio out capability you will need to stick the adapter on the source you are playing from, cable box, computer, etc..
If you connect this HDMI ARC to some converter box, this HDMI line is a source and an input so you will need to be on that port for the audio to work for it. Meaning if you are playing something from the internal TV apps or tuner, I don't think there will be any audio coming out of that HDMI port.

If the TV has no audio out capability you will need to stick the adapter on the source you are playing from, cable box, computer, etc..

Solution

Yeah this is what I was asking myself but I keep seeing people saying that even if it's an HDMI in I can use it as a out because of that ARC cable and the option on the TV to set the sound to the HDMI in port.

I normally know you can't use a IN as a OUT but in this case maybe? I'm so bad with audio stuff.

Says that on the web "the HDMI ARC port lets you use HDMI as both an input and an audio output"

So it would be like this. TV -> HDMI IN with HDMI arc cable -> ARC supported converter -> RCA white and red to amplifier. No idea if this will work but I guess I will just tell him to try or return the stuff if it doesn't.

Last edited:

chetmaster12

Honorable
Jan 19, 2015
Can you specify what this "RCA amplifier" is? Most of the RCA amplifiers I know of are 60-year-old tube amplifiers. There were also a few solid-state receivers to bear the RCA name over the years, though most of them have probably blown up and been landfilled by now.

Or do you mean an amplifier with RCA input connectors? RCA (referring to Radio Corporation of America) is both the name of a company and the name of a somewhat crappy connector.