TV won't see movies ?!

Shay_King7

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
Hello guys. I have a TV SAMSUNG LE37C650, and i receantly bought a External HDD and this is a WD Elements Portable WDBUZG0010BBK-1TB , and it won't see movies from it. I used USB sticks before and other External HDDs , but when i plug in this one it woun't detect any movie. I've tested same content on other devices and works, although is not working on this new WD HDD. All previous USB devices used were formated in NTFS, same as this WD, so i don't see a problem with this, and the TV reads the WD HDD so there is no problem with the power. What else should i do to make it work?
P.S: I've atached a picture to see what it shows me when i try to play movies.
1FHAAHc.jpg

Solution

The TV might not be able to read the HDD because reading from the HDD requires more power than the USB port can deliver. It will turn on and light up because around 0.23A (230mA) is needed to power on.

If you read the TV manual you will see that it states what I just previously posted.
"A USB device that requires high power, more than 0.5A (500mA) or 5V, may not be supported, it might not be recognized or it may malfunction.'
A WD Passport and WD Elements Portable 2.5" hard drive, need at least 0.650A (650mA) to operate properly.
Does the port that you are using can deliver more...
A USB device that requires high power, more than 0.5A (500mA) or 5V, may not be supported on many Smart TVs, otherwise it might not be recognized or it may malfunction. Also, if a USB extension cable is used, the USB device may not be recognized or the files on the device may not be read.
Some Samsung Smart TVs have one USB port that delivers more power up to 1A (1000mA)

A WD Passport and WD Elements Portable 2.5" hard drive, need at least 650mA. If the USB controller or USB hub is limited to 500 milliamps of power draw, a USB 2.0 Power Booster Cable may be needed.

I have a Seagate Slim that draws around 0.47A (4.7mA) and it only works on one of the 3 USB ports on a Samsung Smart TV. It does not work on one labeled '0.5A' and on the one labeled 'Camera', it only works on the one labeled 1A (HDD).

Shay_King7

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
Yes seems i posted it wrong , sorry. If anyone cold help me to move it would be awesome.
As for yor answers, the HDD is recognized, the LED is on when the device is turning on, and pluged in, that's why i still wonder why is not working properly?

The TV might not be able to read the HDD because reading from the HDD requires more power than the USB port can deliver. It will turn on and light up because around 0.23A (230mA) is needed to power on.

If you read the TV manual you will see that it states what I just previously posted.
"A USB device that requires high power, more than 0.5A (500mA) or 5V, may not be supported, it might not be recognized or it may malfunction.'
A WD Passport and WD Elements Portable 2.5" hard drive, need at least 0.650A (650mA) to operate properly.
Does the port that you are using can deliver more than 0.5A (500mA)? The USB port might be labeled with that info.

Solution

You cannot draw more power than what the USB port is capable of deliver.
What you could do is provide more power to the external hard drive by using either a Y USB cable or a power adapter.

Latest posts