TWC cant access mac adress?

turtlejuice

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I sold my router to someone the other day for use on twc after changing isp's. It is a motorola sbg6580. TWC uses these modems all the time and sells them themselves so i figured it would work. Well i got a call from the guy i sold it to saying they cant access the mac adress on it. I know it has 2 of them and I dont know if its their tech guys having problems which is what i thought it was but he wont leave me alone and i used hte modem a week before selling it and straight back to the box so i doubt its the modem itself. He told me though that I needed to have the mac adress unlocked or something from my old isp? This was a personal modem from best buy so i wouldnt think they could do that but is it possible? Or any idea how to get around or fix this myself?

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

I am not sure but he has to CALL them and give them the HFC mac address off the label on the mobem bottom. It will be a series of numbers and letters A-F only, no other letters in the alphabet will be there so the 0 are all zeros and not letter o's. HFC is what Motorola calls the modem mac for the cmts, which is what TWC wants. HFC stands for hybrid fiber coax which is what modern cable systems are.

He also needs to make sure he has it plugged in and ONLINE as in all lights locked when he calls other wise there is no way they can SEE the modem even if he gives them the right MAC address for provisioning, but the other issue may be that if you are a TWC customer and you still have that MAC on your account in any way that they cannot have it on TWO accounts at once, and so you need to call in and have them remove it from your account. I work for Comcast, and we leave customer owned EQ on accounts even when it's not in use, I feel its the dumbest thing ever, but its how big conglomerates operate. I know you said insight but as I recall they got bought up by TWC, so they inherited the old Insight database and so this may still be the case.

turtlejuice

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I called insight and they told me my account is no longer active. I asked them to call back so i dont waste my mins and they're supposed to verify its no used by my account, though she doesnt seem to know much :/

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
What do you mean the device has 2 mac addresses? I assume you mean the MAC for the WAN port (the coax port) and the MAC for the LAN port (ethernet).

The MAC they need is the one for the WAN port and should be printed on the ID label of the device.

Simply reset the device to factory settings, and run the thing through the registration process.

Sorry I can't be much more help with TWC than that. Comcast took over for TWC here years ago, and my recollection of the modem registration process on them is very old and most likely obsolete by now... I must admit, at least in my region, Comcast makes getting your modem online VERY easy, no calls needed, just follow the bouncing meat ball as it were...

turtlejuice

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Ok problem solved after talking to 4 or 5 different people somebody finaly agreed it was provisioned for their isp. They removed the provision. So hopefullly my friend can connect when he gets home. Thanks for the help WA