Question Twilight Zone RAM?

ST45kwxyz

Prominent
Apr 4, 2022
Just curious as to what may have happened?:unsure:
I'll try and condense as best I can.

I did a win 10 update after a month or so cause I still mainly use win 7, ( fast, easy no long disk usage etc etc.)
It's a dell 9010 desktop 16gb ram and pretty good machine got it used. so after a long install of updates and waiting to reboot.

I came back to the machine and noticed a blinking yellow light on power switch and no screen? Oh oh, rebooted and nothing but the same
blinking yellow, thought the update may have crashed my machine? (I've heard stories,) so off to you tube on my win 7 which has never failed me.
Looked at the videos about ram and cell battery? ( changed the battery) went through the procedures and got 1 stick of ram going
I figured I do a revert back to get it going.

So I then had to wait till the finished update slowly finished up it's install and clean up. 2 hrs ( 1 stick of ram, did not want to mess with till finished).
Ok so the update is finished and I can get 2 stick going but not the 4? Bad ram? I tried the other 2 sets work fine but not the 4?
how can this be? both are matched pairs kingston ddr3 16000. I tried the ram on another machine and they worked fine?
So by chance I mixed the pairs, not matched 1 from set and another from the other. It worked! I got my 16gb back?

So how does a computer that has no problem before working with the ram that was set up now have to mix pairs to work? I tried the match pairs again to make sure,
and same blinking yellow light?

Only MS could cause this I just don't know.
I know it's long and not that important in the scheme of thing but thought maybe someone might know something.
Thanks.

Just curious as to what may have happened?:unsure:
I'll try and condense as best I can.

I did a win 10 update after a month or so cause I still mainly use win 7, ( fast, easy no long disk usage etc etc.)
It's a dell 9010 desktop 16gb ram and pretty good machine got it used. so after a long install of updates and waiting to reboot.

I came back to the machine and noticed a blinking yellow light on power switch and no screen? Oh oh, rebooted and nothing but the same
blinking yellow, thought the update may have crashed my machine? (I've heard stories,) so off to you tube on my win 7 which has never failed me.
Looked at the videos about ram and cell battery? ( changed the battery) went through the procedures and got 1 stick of ram going
I figured I do a revert back to get it going.

So I then had to wait till the finished update slowly finished up it's install and clean up. 2 hrs ( 1 stick of ram, did not want to mess with till finished).
Ok so the update is finished and I can get 2 stick going but not the 4? Bad ram? I tried the other 2 sets work fine but not the 4?
how can this be? both are matched pairs kingston ddr3 16000. I tried the ram on another machine and they worked fine?
So by chance I mixed the pairs, not matched 1 from set and another from the other. It worked! I got my 16gb back?

So how does a computer that has no problem before working with the ram that was set up now have to mix pairs to work? I tried the match pairs again to make sure,
and same blinking yellow light?

Only MS could cause this I just don't know.
I know it's long and not that important in the scheme of thing but thought maybe someone might know something.
Thanks.
What does it show in BIOS ? MS can't do anything to BIOS.