Question Twitch streams begin to stutter when there is a bunch of GIF emotes in chat

Nikola1123

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Hello, this is a somewhat recent issue I have been dealing with where while watching a twitch stream, if the other viewers proceed to spam a lot of gif emotes the stream will begin to stutter/lag.
If I were to clear the chat/turn it off/move to another tab the stream proceeds to run smoothly.
I can also just turn off the gif emotes and it will work fine but that seems like a band-aid fix for a problem I would like to get rid of.

The issue persists on both Firefox and Chrome, and it persists with Hardware acceleration on or off.
This is a new issue, as I have been using the site for years, never once having this problem before.
I have 16GB RAM, Ryzen 1600X, nvidia 1070.

Ralston18

Titan
What "twitch stream"?

What you see as gif emotes may be some attempt to attack your system and other user systems watching the twitch stream.

Who are those other viewers doing the spamming?

Even though you have used the site for years that does not eliminate the possibility that "bad guys" have taken over. Or trying to do so.

Leave the gif emotes off and simply keep an eye on things. Band-aids are used for protection as much as anything.

Keep an eye on those using emoticons . Ask those using emotes to stop. See how they respond or react.