Two 6-pin connectors

Conleak

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Okay, so, I bought a new power supply (http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/g7-780w-atx-pc-power-supply-n...) and it has 2 6-pin PCIE connectors. My graphics card has an 8 (6x2) and a 6 pin connector. This power supply has no adapter slots, slightly strange, so, I was wondering if I could connect the 2 6-pin connectors to the gpu and it would work? I have not been able to test this and the power supply is boxed up, if there is no solution, I can return it.

My Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 770 2GB

Conleak

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013

The adapter was included with the graphics card, so it should be fine?

I would be very wary of that psu. Any 780w unit that comes with only 2 6pin pegs is absolutely a disaster waiting to happen. A well made psu of that capacity should have at least 2 6pin and 2 6+2pin connectors. I would suspect that the actual output of that supply is more along the lines of 400-450w. If you can still do so, return that psu and purchase a well made unit from XFX, Seasonic, Corsair (TX series), etc. If you are on a budget, let us know and we can make specific recommendations.

A psu is the LAST thing to compromise on - if it goes, especially a "bargain" psu, it may also take your m/b, cpu and gpu along for the ride.

Mark

Conleak

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Okay, yeah, I mean, the reason I got this PSU was because I wanted to be on the safe side and make sure my gpu was getting enough power. I tried to get the Corsair 750M but it was sold out and I was kind of in a hurry, I should be able to return it.

Check the specs on the side of that psu. If it is multi-rail, make sure you have at least 20a on each rail. You should be ok to run it with one of the 6 pins and using the adapter off a molex as they are typically on separate rails on that type of psu. If you can wait - do so and get a "name" psu. Amazon UK has THIS EVGA which is a solid unit.