[SOLVED] Two 8-pin CPU power with 2 different PSU

giathyex

Reputable
Apr 25, 2018
Hello everyone.

I have tried and used add2psu to use 2 PSU.

1 PSU for 8-pin CPU, 24-pin ATX and hard drive. Secondary PSU just for graphics card.

I just wonder if anyone has tried to connect each 8-pin CPU power to a different PSU using add2psu or similar method.

I have heard someone said that it will case some sort of "short-circuit".

Thanks for answering my answer.

Solution
I think you are asking for trouble.
The psu/gpu connection is a bit more complex than simply power wattage.
The gpu can give signals to the psu to tell it how to operate.
Two different psu's operating differently is likely to cause all sorts of trouble.
Worse, the symptoms will be hard to decipher.

giathyex

Reputable
Apr 25, 2018
It is impossible to give any real recommendations, until we know exactly what parts you're working with.
My 2 PSU is a Cooler Master RS-460-PSAR-I3 and a FSP Saga 450. I used them with add2psu to power high-end GPU on my test bench just fine. The Saga 450 is the main PSU connect to the motherboard, and the RS-460 is the secondary PSU only connect to my GPU

I just want to know if it is safe to connect one 8-pin CPU on my motherboard to the Saga 450 and another 8-pin to the RS-460 (For experiment purpose only)

My motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Apex

Thank you

bignastyid

Titan
That Cooler master PSU is garbage and shouldn't be used in any computer. The FSP isn't much better as it's an old design and can't even deliver 350w where it counts(12v is only rated for 336w). Honestly you should just get a single good PSU that is capable of handling the system.

Reactions: giathyex

giathyex

Reputable
Apr 25, 2018
That Cooler master PSU is garbage and shouldn't be used in any computer. The FSP isn't much better as it's an old design and can't even deliver 350w where it counts(12v is only rated for 336w). Honestly you should just get a single good PSU that is capable of handling the system.
Yeah, I know they are bad PSU :LOL:

I just wonder if anybody have tried to use 2 different PSU to power two 8-pin on the motherboard

For experiment purpose only. This is my test bench and not my daily PC

bignastyid

Titan
Yeah, I know they are bad PSU :LOL:

I just wonder if anybody have tried to use 2 different PSU to power two 8-pin on the motherboard

For experiment purpose only. This is my test bench and not my daily PC
Possible somebody has(probably not anybody here though) as it just sounds like a way to create an electrical fire and destroy parts which is advice we actively try to avoid here.

Reactions: giathyex
I think you are asking for trouble.
The psu/gpu connection is a bit more complex than simply power wattage.
The gpu can give signals to the psu to tell it how to operate.
Two different psu's operating differently is likely to cause all sorts of trouble.
Worse, the symptoms will be hard to decipher.

Solution