[SOLVED] Two BSODs in a week

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hi guys,

My build is in the signature.

This was built in Dec 2019, never had a BSOD before last week. Last wednesday, when I was watching a series on prime video in Mozilla firefox, I suddenly got a BSOD restart with the error as Kernel_securit_check_failure. I analyzed the dump using windbg and found the reason to be plugin controlle.exe and image name was ntoskrnl.exe, but I suspected something more, so I ran the windows memory diagnostic, came out without any errors, then ran sfcscan, found some issues and fixed, ran chkdsk, came out fine. Crystal disk info says the SSD is fine.

So I figured, maybe it was because of some file corruption figured the fixes sfcscan applied would have fixed it. No a week later I was in the middle of a game in siege, I alt tab a lot, so my game is in bordeless windowed mode, I alt tabbed and opened geforce experience and it started installing some updates and threw a BSO again and with the same Kernel_security_check_failure message.

Also, in ths week I've gamed quite a bit and there no issues.

Now the image name is bedaisy.sys and process name is system. How do I take it from here. BTW, geforce exprience is corrupetd now I guess, it throws an error if I open.

I am planning to run memtest tonight and see what I get in the morn.

Any help is much appreicated. What are the chances this is a hardware issue?

EDIT : Forgot to mention,, my windows is up to date and except for nvidia graphics driver which is in version 452.06 all other drivers are updated, I've not updated the display driver as the recent verisons introduce rare microstutter in siege. Could the driver be the issue.

Ryzen 5 3600x/MSI B450 Tomoawk Max/Gigabyte Windforce OC 1660ti/Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 3000 Mhz/CM MWE 550W/Crucial MX500 1 TB/Acer VG240YP

Last edited:
Solution
I wonder if turning this off will make it stop - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
it would at least let us look at shutdown logs that don't exist while its on.

it might be a startup program causing it, you could try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Application errors are not something I handle...

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Your drivers up to date?
As much i know bedaisy.sys is an anti cheat system used by many games.
You could also try to reinstall GPU Drivers with DDU.

Oh alright, it is battleeye then. but the cause seems to be different as the process and image name is diff between the BSODs and my display driver is on version 452.06, a bit old, I had of the recent versions but since it introduced some oddball microstutters in siege I reverted to the this version and I did DDU when I installed this.

Maybe I should just update the display driver then.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
So, I ddu'd and updated the GPU drivers, installed the recent version. Only other driver I suspect heavily by the way is the ethernet controller driver.

I recently updated this with a version released on the 20th of Jan 2021 due to an issue with my new ISP, first BSOD was on the 27th, I think I installed the ethernet driver around 23rd or something I dunno, I reinstalled the ethernet driver today as well, and another BSOD. may eb related.

Anyway, I've updated gpu drivers and reinstalled the ether driver again. If I have another one I am going to removed the ethernet controller driver and see how it goes.

Also, I will running memtest in the meantime to make sure it si not the ram as well.

Please let me know if you guys need more infromation.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

Open Windows File Explorer

Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop

Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows

Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder

Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)

Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Bedaisy.sys
Battle Eye Anti cheat driver. part of a game you have installed.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

Open Windows File Explorer

Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop

Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows

Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder

Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)

Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Battle Eye Anti cheat driver. part of a game you have installed.

Sure, I will enable that. but right now I only have the larger memory dump if that could of use. And it has only happened twice and a week, apart, can't tell when it will happend again, the pc on a daily basis runs more than 10 hrs btw. I've been working on the same pc since last March.

Also, not sure if you've seen my recent response. Basically I suspect it is the Lan driver as that is the only driver I updated recently.

Edit : Enabled small memory dumps

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hi Colif,

Just wanted to update the post, I ran memtest86 overnight, 4 passes came out clean. I guess that rules out a memory issue then. I also ran crystal disk mark on the ssd, speeds seem correct and crystal disk info says the SSD is is good health as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ok, main reason I don't ask for the memory dump is size of the file. My friend who converts the file for me has slow internet connection and memory dumps can be up to 1gb or more whereas minidumps are normally only a few mb. I guess we wait and see what next crash reveals.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Ok, main reason I don't ask for the memory dump is size of the file. My friend who converts the file for me has slow internet connection and memory dumps can be up to 1gb or more whereas minidumps are normally only a few mb. I guess we wait and see what next crash reveals.

Sure thing, I guess I've done everything to find or fix this Bsod at this point, we will wait to see where this takes us and narrow down with the next crash. I really appreciate your time and effort in this matter. Not sure when it will happen, hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Either way, I would really appreciate if you can keep an eye on this thread, I see you are helping people on lots of Bsod threads in here.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hi Colif,

Just wanted clarification on something, noticed there has been a chipset update from AMD on the 4th of Feb, wondering if I should update it, I have ther last update from Dec installed, I've been using the pc the same way, no issues since the post.

However, it can happen anytime I guess, so wondering if I should do a driver update at this time potentially hurting our ability to narrow down the issue by adding a new variable.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hi Colif,

So, it has now been nearly 4 weeks without the issue. however, last night when I was turning the pc off I got an error pop up saying, only seems to happen when turning off.

"Application popup: RuntimeBroker.exe - Application Error : The instruction at 0x00007FFA63EF618E referenced memory at 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program" But it automatically closed immediately and the pc shutdown normally, now again in the morning after using the pc for a while, when shutting down, the message popped up apparently, but this time it was too quick to see, just a flash and shutdown, found the message in event viewer under information, not even a warning, why? I've since gamed on the pc without an issue. just reset paging file, turned it off and and set it to automatically allocate again.

Could this be related or I should consider this a separate issue. Also, one thing I've changed with the way I use the PC since yesterday is that I started using MS edge last morning, could that be the reason. Never used it before, firefox all the way thus far.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try sfc again

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Try sfc again

right click start button
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Done all this already, none found any issues, btw, no Bsods since I created this thread. but windows store troubleshooter found hanging or crashing apps, which seems to have been fixed with a store reset.

I did all this after the last BSOD early this month, it is mentioned on this post as well.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Try sfc again

right click start button
and press enter

Ran memtest with both the sticks, no error found.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if turning this off will make it stop - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

it might be a startup program causing it, you could try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Application errors are not something I handle very often so I don't have any fixes off top of head. But we see what we can find.

Solution

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Application errors are not something I handle very often so I don't have any fixes off top of head. But we see what we can find.

Cool, got it, do we consider the bsod issue more or less solved now, btw I already pretty much have all the non microsoft services disabled except for nvidia and mozilla maintenance service, under start up I only have cortana, one drive, unified remote, an app I use and msi afterburner.

If it happened with shutdown every time I would have done this, but of the 10 15 shutdowns I've done so far since it happened last night, the error window popped up only twice.

I will see how it goes since the store troubleshooter found some issue and couldn't fix. But resetting the app got rid of the error from troubleshooter. Hoping that is it.

Last edited:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

And fast start up has been off from the time I started using windows 10.
So, thats not a problem.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Cool, got it, do we consider the bsod issue more or less solved now,
If you aren't getting any, we could assume that. I been around BSOD too much to assume anything but normally they just stop happening if they are fixed, that is the only clue you have. Time is what tells you really, as if BSOD are not common and only happen sometimes it might be x amount of time before next one.

If its only 2 in 15 restarts it happens, you can still look at the shutdown logs though they don't really help that much. they don't have timers to show when each event happened, just which ones did. Might show some clues

this is win 7, it might still apply
https://superuser.com/questions/758...n-during-windows-shutdown-logging-off-process

Last edited:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hi Colif,

I guess it was the ssd all along. It just completely failed on me.

When watching a video, pc blue screened again, but it just turned off at 0%, didn't quite catch the bsod code. Anyway, ssd is not detected anymore in Bios.

Tried diff sata cable, psu cable, diff ports on the board, same result.