[SOLVED] Two BSODs in a week

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hi guys,

My build is in the signature.

This was built in Dec 2019, never had a BSOD before last week. Last wednesday, when I was watching a series on prime video in Mozilla firefox, I suddenly got a BSOD restart with the error as Kernel_securit_check_failure. I analyzed the dump using windbg and found the reason to be plugin controlle.exe and image name was ntoskrnl.exe, but I suspected something more, so I ran the windows memory diagnostic, came out without any errors, then ran sfcscan, found some issues and fixed, ran chkdsk, came out fine. Crystal disk info says the SSD is fine.

So I figured, maybe it was because of some file corruption figured the fixes sfcscan applied would have fixed it. No a week later I was in the middle of a game in siege, I alt tab a lot, so my game is in bordeless windowed mode, I alt tabbed and opened geforce experience and it started installing some updates and threw a BSO again and with the same Kernel_security_check_failure message.

Also, in ths week I've gamed quite a bit and there no issues.

Now the image name is bedaisy.sys and process name is system. How do I take it from here. BTW, geforce exprience is corrupetd now I guess, it throws an error if I open.

I am planning to run memtest tonight and see what I get in the morn.

Any help is much appreicated. What are the chances this is a hardware issue?

EDIT : Forgot to mention,, my windows is up to date and except for nvidia graphics driver which is in version 452.06 all other drivers are updated, I've not updated the display driver as the recent verisons introduce rare microstutter in siege. Could the driver be the issue.

Ryzen 5 3600x/MSI B450 Tomoawk Max/Gigabyte Windforce OC 1660ti/Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 3000 Mhz/CM MWE 550W/Crucial MX500 1 TB/Acer VG240YP

Last edited:
Solution
I wonder if turning this off will make it stop - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
it would at least let us look at shutdown logs that don't exist while its on.

it might be a startup program causing it, you could try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Application errors are not something I handle...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Don't need a dump if the cause is so obvious.
It showed as okay in crystaldisk and yet it just stops.
It is possible the problem is a physical one that doesn't include anything SMART checks.
I don't like that about ssd, at least with hdd you might get a noise, these just stop.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Don't need a dump if the cause is so obvious.
It showed as okay in crystaldisk and yet it just stops.
It is possible the problem is a physical one that doesn't include anything SMART checks.
I don't like that about ssd, at least with hdd you might get a noise, these just stop.

I guess that is it, checked the drive on my friends pc, didn't detect the drive.

However, I may have caused another issue, not if I can ask here, after I checked my drive on his pc and confirmed that it is dead, I plugged the cables back into his ssd, booted up fine, then turned off and connected my driver with another sata cable his pc, pc wouldn't boot., So removed mine, it booted up fine, but I had left my sata cable in on his board, then turned off and removed it as well, then it turned on again went to desktop and froze, held pwr button and turned, now his pc doesn't boot, all the fans just keep spinning, no display.

Tried each ram on both slots, it is a h61 gigabyte motherboard. Removed the cmos battery for sometime to clear and put back in, no go.

Removed the 960, on board vga, same issue.

I am worried I've killed his pc too, whatever I touch goes to hell, I knew it, his pc used to me mine, the same thing happened when I was using it back in the day twice(both when removing the gpu and trying a diff one for a frnd) used to have b75 board back then, both times it was the board, then I replaced it with the h61. So, this time I was very careful not to touch anything on the board, just wanted to test the ssd and it is now doing the same thing.