[SOLVED] Two computers, exact same build, two VERY different Heavens Benchmark scores... Why??

Primal_Mojo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2016
So I upgraded the graphics cards for my fiancee and I, and I had just upgraded everything else back in November, so we have the exact same builds. I installed my graphics card yesterday, and was (I thought) happy with the benchmark score, compared to my old card. But there was a slight fan tick while the system was cold, went away after it warmed up for about 30 min. I figured if it didn't come back, I wouldn't worry about it.

But this morning I installed my fiancees card, and ran the benchmark, and his not only defaulted to high instead of medium, like mine did, but his score blew mine out of the water. I don't understand why, considering we have identical hardware, unless it's somewhere in the settings and I missed it.

Any thoughts or help y'all can offer? Should I just exchange the card with the fan tick for another one?

Builds:

ASUS Prime X470-Pro MB
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 4 core unlocked
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super OC 6GB
Corsair Vengeance RAM 16 GB

Benchmark scores:

Mine:
FPS 115.1
Score 2899
Quality Medium (I chose ultra, it switched back for the benchmark)

His:
FPS 144.5
Score 3640
Quality High (again, I chose ultra, benchmark changed to high)

Solution
D
old HDs that were moved over.
If by "upgraded everything else" you also mean motherboard, I would advise you to do a clean OS reinstallation so you get the appropriate chipset drivers for your current motherboard. Not doing a clean install of Windows and instead just moving an old drive over after a motherboard replacement, can cause a variety of issues.

Primal_Mojo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2016
You said upgrades were involved, did that include Windows reinstalls? Pure guess is there are some settings on the slower one that need to be changed. A fresh windows will load them easily.

We both have the same version of Windows 10 64 bit. Seriously, literally everything is the same for the new builds aside from the old HDs that were moved over.

D

Deleted member 2720853

old HDs that were moved over.
If by "upgraded everything else" you also mean motherboard, I would advise you to do a clean OS reinstallation so you get the appropriate chipset drivers for your current motherboard. Not doing a clean install of Windows and instead just moving an old drive over after a motherboard replacement, can cause a variety of issues.

Reactions: Primal_Mojo
Solution

Primal_Mojo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2016
Ugh...calling Microsoft. LOL! But if it works....yeah ok, that needs to be done.