Two different IP addresses for same device on router and device/network map

nancyinwi

Honorable
Sep 20, 2015
I'm not sure if this is router related or device related.

We have a DirecTV receiver/DVR. I have an app on my iPad to connect to the receiver and control it. Today, I was unable to connect to it. Says the receiver is eligible for control, but is not found on the home network. When I go to the receiver, it is indeed connected and I am able to use it without issue for internet apps/dvr/etc.

What I think might be the issue is, the receiver and the network map on the computer shows its IP address as ending in 8. However, when I check connected devices in the router, it says the IP address ends in 11. I've reset the router numerous times, always comes back the same. I've tried entering both the 8 and the 11 in the network IP setup in the app in order to connect the ipad, but it always comes back as "invalid/no receiver found."

I am totally stumped.

Solution
ok, i'm gonna suggest something, without knowledge of the DVR you're rolling.

1) log into your router
2) change where the DHCP reservation starts to something like .10 or .20
3) save settings
4) using the menu on the dvr, change the network connection from DHCP to static
5) manually enter a new IP for the DVR ending in .5 (on your computer open the command prompt, type ipconfig, duplicate the subnet and gateway address onto the DVR, make the first DNS address your router/gateway address and the 2nd DNS point it at google with 8.8.8.8) save settings

you may need to reboot the DVR at this point, depends on the unit.

now you should have a single network address for the dvr to connect with your app, one ending in a .5, you'll also...
ok, i'm gonna suggest something, without knowledge of the DVR you're rolling.

1) log into your router
2) change where the DHCP reservation starts to something like .10 or .20
3) save settings
4) using the menu on the dvr, change the network connection from DHCP to static
5) manually enter a new IP for the DVR ending in .5 (on your computer open the command prompt, type ipconfig, duplicate the subnet and gateway address onto the DVR, make the first DNS address your router/gateway address and the 2nd DNS point it at google with 8.8.8.8) save settings

you may need to reboot the DVR at this point, depends on the unit.

now you should have a single network address for the dvr to connect with your app, one ending in a .5, you'll also have a reserved area to assign more devices static ips (like your network printers, they work better with static ips)

Solution

nancyinwi

Honorable
Sep 20, 2015
I guess I should have said that I have a Belkin n600 and the DirecTV receiver is HR44/200.

I'm not aware of how to change anything in the DVR. What you wrote out there is total Greek to me. I'm really not "techie"! I do appreciate your help though.

Perhaps I should call DirecTV and have someone come look at it.